• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Digbeth Photos

Beale
I like your pictures and your commentary. I only wish you had been around to photograph the much that has gone

Really impressive photos. I haven't had a chance to explore that area of the canal network yet but the photo above is encouraging me to try to fit it in on my next visit. Although a lot has been lost there are at least still some treasures left.

Simon

Thanks for the comments, didn't realise how beautiful Digbeth really was till I did this project, Have found out a lot about the area and have a new found love for the place. Can see me doing a lot more photos around the Digbeth area as I`m at the college for the next 2 years. Would love to take some time out and photograph the railway arches they are just a great feat of engineering.

Thanks for the photos (and welcome to the forum) have to agree that I like them in black and white rather than colour, more evocative of the era the buildings would have been used in. My moms grandparents lived opposite the Typhoo tea factory, hadn't thought about it being that close to the canal before.
Sue

hi paul and welcome to the forum...just had a look at your project...what an unusual way of taking photographs i like them...well done on a good job...

:encouragement: lyn

Thanks for the photos (and welcome to the forum) have to agree that I like them in black and white rather than colour, more evocative of the era the buildings would have been used in. My moms grandparents lived opposite the Typhoo tea factory, hadn't thought about it being that close to the canal before.
Sue
I`ll try and upload the black and white versions, i was torn between the 2 to be fair. there is a couple of black & white ones on my blog further down the pages. From what ive found out the canal was used as a loading area where the tea would be shipped in and out, the barges would also use the Grand Union canal to supply the tea factory, the banana warehouse and the old H.P sauce factory. Such a beautiful area to walk round.

The Typhoo factory was purchased in 1924. Before the site was the Bangor Wharf Saw Mills, together with land occupied by coal merchants and Birmingham Canal Navigations. In the 1920s the wharf was handling 3000 tea chests per week, unloaded from barges/narrow boats

The Typhoo factory was purchased in 1924. Before the site was the Bangor Wharf Saw Mills, together with land occupied by coal merchants and Birmingham Canal Navigations. In the 1920s the wharf was handling 3000 tea chests per week, unloaded from barges/narrow boats

Didn't know it was a saw mill before a tea factory, thanks for that information, will have to dig deeper and do some reading up on that. Seem to be finding more out about the area all the time, that's why i love these forums.

hi paul
brillient peice of works best pictures i ,ve ever seen o here for a long time if you have got ore please ; please post them on here
and incidently my grand parents my grand parents and my mother lived right next door to the typhoo factory
right up until around the 1955 from around the period you was talking about they had tea rooms right very next door
and it was a boarding house for all the lorry drivers for all over th countrywhom and what ever came to digbeth in thoses days
and the cattle men drovers bringing cattle of all sorts ; pigs sheep cows; etc; they was also next door of there house and bussiness
typoo was on the right hand of them andhide and skin on the left of there dwelings that being there big house and tea rooms
and they used to keep a jack russell for many a years until he died;
quite often the gaffers of either side o them which was typoo or the hide and skin wouldasked grand father for he lend of old jacko when they spottted a rat running around the yards my mothers back yard used have a gate which you would walk into there yards of typhoo;s and the hide and skins yards
this is around the thirtys ; and my grand father ernie jelf would park his car and van in there yards when he was not useing them at week ends
and over night he had the keys to there yards which openend up wide as you know of the cut was runningdown behind the premises ;
also my mothers cousin used to own the banna ovens in the bulling of digbeth ;during those years and half of another kings ware house used to be on new cannal street i believe the banna ovens was very close if not next door to the drovers arms pub in the tentys where moms cousin used to own
i think i still have picture from the carl chinns paper sent to me by my mothers cousins daughter ; whom is jaymews another long time member of this forum ;her mom was my mothers no i cousin ;
have a nice day every body best wishes astonian;;

I think moms grandparents lived opposite typhoo before 1924, so they must have known the Saw Mills too.
Alan, I will ask if mom recalls the tearooms and boarding house from her visits.
Thanks for the pics and info everyone.
Sue

Back