• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Didlum on Witton Road

• Thread starter Thread starter S Hayward
  • Start date Start date
S

S Hayward

One of my earliest memories was visiting my Nan, Nelly Hayward who lived on Witton Road (number 113 I think, demolished now probably). She used to have an open house with people popping in and out all day long to buy cigarettes.
I think she also ran a didlum with people saving up for Christmas.
I remember a model shop opposite on Witton Road and driving school in a shop down by the traffic lights.
I think Nelly was related to Vic Potts who played for the Villa. She had a budgie that used to shout "up the Villa" when Star Soccer was on on a Sunday afternoon. She had a Brother called Stan and sons called Horace and Les (my late father who used to work at Tyseley Railway depot on the steam trains where he met my late mother Mavis Twyford) and a daughter called Doris.
Nelly died in 1976 and unfortunately I have lost touch with all of this side of the family.
I'd be delighted to hear from anyone who remembers Nelly or can put me in touch with the Hayward side of the family again.
Steve Hayward

the albert hall ,witton road,a bit more up market than madam amies but a lot more friendlier than the witch at enid goodwins :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Hey Dolly, I passed the Albert Hall last week. I had totally forgatten about it; I used to pass it every Saturday morning when I went to the library. What was it?

another one these further education places as there seem to be an abundance of thickos ,who need further educating as they cant grasp it first/second time round,but when i took the picture there was a west indian choir giving it an earbashing in there,can you remember the big model of a dancer who stood outside complete with a claw hammer jacket and a bat on his neck

That 'Witch' certainly didn't like THIS boy. When I was at Birchfield Boys, some mates and me were out one lunch time and noticed that there were fruit trees in Edid Goodwins garden. Well, boys being boys, (and thieves), we were into it, like a rat up a drainpipe. She came screaming out the backdoor, and we were off. As we were running, I could hear her shouting " I know which school you go to....Canterbury Rd". "Yes that's right, you old @#%*^#!!" someone shouts back. The next day there was an 'identity parade' in the playground (an almost daily occurrence at Birchfield Rd). I wasn't bothered until I saw who it was, and my insides turned to water. She picked us all out and we all got 4 strokes of the cane on each hand. We thought that was a bit steep for an apple, so we went round again and knocked the teeth out of her lions in the front of the dance school.
Some years later, a friend of mine and myself decided that we could 'pull' more chicks if we could dance, so we went for a crash course at Enid's. While we were filling in the forms, she came out of the ballroom, took one look at me, and said "You knocked the teeth out of my lions". I looked suitably shocked at the accusation, and she burst out laughing and said, "I never forget a face". I said "Yeh and I got 8 of the best to prove it". We had a good laugh about it and got on with the dancing lessons. I learnt the waltz, quickstep, and half of the slow foxtrot, and I couldn't wait any longer to get at the chicks at the Plaza, so Enid and I parted company. A recent member, however, is a very accomplished dancer, so watch it girls, Dolly Astaire/Rogers is to be treated with extreme caution on the dance floor (or anywhere else for that matter). ::)

Yes it was the big boys she liked Fran. She had nciknames for them, I had a terrible crush on a lad she called Brighteyes. Oh life was painful, he was after my friend, and she went more often than I did, because after the week-end I was often broke. ;)

One of my earliest memories was visiting my Nan, Nelly Hayward who lived on Witton Road (number 113 I think, demolished now probably). She used to have an open house with people popping in and out all day long to buy cigarettes.
I think she also ran a didlum with people saving up for Christmas.
I remember a model shop opposite on Witton Road and driving school in a shop down by the traffic lights.
I think Nelly was related to Vic Potts who played for the Villa. She had a budgie that used to shout "up the Villa" when Star Soccer was on on a Sunday afternoon. She had a Brother called Stan and sons called Horace and Les (my late father who used to work at Tyseley Railway depot on the steam trains where he met my late mother Mavis Twyford) and a daughter called Doris.
Nelly died in 1976 and unfortunately I have lost touch with all of this side of the family.
I'd be delighted to hear from anyone who remembers Nelly or can put me in touch with the Hayward side of the family again.
Steve Hayward
Hi, I am trying to trace a Hayward who married a Gertrude May Minchin in 1955 do you have any information? many thanks Angjim

#6 Yes Dolly Pete and myself can remember it too and Pete said there was a woman outside too at sometime. He lived at 51 Witton road quite close to Albert Hall. Jean.

Back