• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dibble and Brisbane Road Photos

AstleyAustralia

We are trying to gain some insight into our familiy from Birmingham and we have these photos that have been sent out to Australia. We are not sure who sent the photos or when they were taken, but they are meant to be the houses the family lived in before leaving Birmingham. We are also not sure if the addresses are accurate, but we have these streets listed with some photos for the families Williams and Astley. The addresses we have are 4 Dibble Road and 138 Brisbane Road (however, the photo shows No. 199). If anyone can confirm - the families left Birmingham in the 1920's.

Hello AstleyAustralia,
I'm afraid I must tell you that 138 Brisbane Road doesn't - and never did - exist. The highest house number in Brisbane Road, West Bromwich, B67 7xx is Number 69.
Now the good news: I believe that the addresses you have posted are incorrect: somehow the house numbers and the street names have been inverted. Attached, you will see a present day Google Earth photograph of Brisbane Road. I would swear that the house, Number 4, is the one in your second photo.
Sorry, but I must leave this interesting investigation now. I'll try to find some time later in the day .... it'll be a bit difficult, it's my partner's name day! but I really want to prove my theory.
Best regards, db84124
View attachment 61753View attachment 61754View attachment 61755

Dibble and Brisbane rd's are not actually in Birmingham, they are just outside the boundary in Smethwick/West Bromwich. Here are 2 pics from street view of the roads.

Terry

Here you go, AstleyAustralia,
My case proven: these photos are of 138 Dibble Rd, West Bromwich, B67 7xx, UK. Now that you know the correct addresses, it should be easy for fellow members of the Forum with their knowledge and insight to come up with accurate details of your ancestors.
Merry Christmas, David

View attachment 61762View attachment 61763View attachment 61764

Please note that the house number in your fourth photograph is Number 138. The neighbours are number 139 but they have chosen a rather strange "3". D.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the infornation - we have been travelling for a while and are now in Birmingham and will check out the addresses while we are here. We are happy just to get any leads for 'old family connections.'
Yesterday we went to check out the village of Astley which my father found very interesting and exciting.
All of your information is helpful, thanks.

Back