• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Devon Street

sistersue61

master brummie
Can anyone tell me anything about Devon Street? If I have traced hubbies family back correctly, his great great grandad and family lived in Devon Street from 1871 until 1901, lose him then but he may have died in 1901,and he was a blacksmith, so was wondering if there were any local places he would have worked?
Any info would be great,,
Thanks Sue

Devon St ran of Duddeston Mill Rd down to Saltley Rd (part of it is still there) we had several photos on the Gosta Green thread before the attack.Dek

Hi Sue

At the dates you mention Blacksmiths would have been in great demand and there would have been no shortage of Smithies. Though there were none in Devon Street there were quite a few within a few minutes walk. Alum Rock Rd, Adderley Rd, Bloomsbury St, Goodrick St being the closest but there loads just as near.

Also your great grandfather may have been a blacksmith but there is nothing to say that he would have worked at a Smithy. Many businesses had their own Smithing department and they might have been nothing to do with horses.

Phil

Thanks Dek and Phil, that's helpful and now I know where Devon Street is and that fits in with what nan told me about meeting Grandad.
Thanks a lot both of you.
Sue

Just as an update following this, I have now managed to find the other set of great great grandparents and the grandad there was a blacksmith too, iving at the back of Cherrywood Road, so it all begins to fit nicely!
Thanks again
Sue

Back