• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

deritend pigs...

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
driving the pigs though deritend. to the market..dated 1903
Photo replaced with, I think, the same photo as originally posted
lyn

4%20Deritend%20High%20St%201903.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Seen this before but can't think which thread. It may no longer be there. Got a couple similar in moms old scrap book Lyn will go take a look. Jean.

Lyn, i wonder if mrs Mountfords eating house on the corner of Bell st was the for runner to Steves bar on the other thread you started.

Hi Jean,

That picture reminds me of seeing a small herd of cattle being driven under Bordesley
bridge in the early 1950s. I was waiting at the bus stop under the bridge at the time,
and I could never understand where thay had come from. I guess they would have been
going to the markets, but the logistics of getting them there must have been horrendous.
I used the bus stop every day, but only ever saw this once.

Kind regards

Dave

Must admit the title of ' deritend pigs ' had me intrigued - I was expecting a slight or blast at someone or something.

Do you moonlight as a headline writer for a well known Daily ?
icon12.png

How interesting I quite fancy the Mrs Mountfords speciality. My uncle worked in the Birmingham slaughter house before and after the war. He would tell my brothers stories while I sat with my fingers in my ears!

Back