• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dame Laura Knight and Birmingham

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Laura Knight is one of my favourite artists, especially because some of her work portrays real working people in real work situations. The two following paintings were created in Birmingham factories.

The first is her painting created at the Austin factory, Longbridge It's called "Victory Delayed." (And "Accidental Fire in a Bomber Factory"). It shows a Stirling aircraft being assembled but on fire on the production line.

The second is called "Switchworks" and shows engineers at the George Ellison factory in Perry Barr. This painting was commissioned to celebrate the end of WW2.

Screenshot_20240803_213937_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240820_082500_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20240803_213956_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240803_214004_Chrome.jpg

"Switchworks"
Screenshot_20240820_083056_Google.jpg

Last edited:
Laura Knight is one of my favourite artists, especially because some of her work portrays real working people in real work situations. The two following paintings were created in Birmingham factories.

The first is her painting created at the Austin factory, Longbridge It's called "Victory Delayed." (And "Accidental Fire in a Bomber Factory"). It shows a Stirling aircraft being assembled but on fire on the production line.

The second is called "Switchworks" and shows engineers at the George Ellison factory in Perry Barr. This painting was commissioned to celebrate the end of WW2.

View attachment 194172
View attachment 194178
View attachment 194180
View attachment 194174
View attachment 194179
A very real piece of memorabilia, very well done!

It was fascinating to see a painting of 'Barry' depicted at a launch.
Barry was a name given to a balloon by me since as a very young child. The date was likely the summer of 1940 when RAF Wythall had commenced operations the previous year. I was in the habit of seeing Barry when it was bedtime. :innocent:

Back