• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

daily mail offices New st

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
nice photo dated april 1912..note the reference to the titanic on the board.. the caption reads 15 corporation st but that is clearly wrong so i wonder if the date was meant to be 12 april which is the day the titanic sank and what an unusual name for the shop next door of stickybacks..wonder what they did

lyn

daily mail offices corporation st.jpg

thats odd jan as i think its says no 99 in the window and the shop to the right says no 98 so i assume startling and lock was no 100..if i didnt know better i would think that photo was taken in america

lyn

yes how odd...above stickybacks shop i think it says insurance society united states and to the right of that there seems to say royal friends

lyn

I think the Daily Mail offices listed at 13 Corporation St. is the Birmingham Daily Mail (as it was then called (because of the Feeney mention). Nor can I find Stickibacks in directories. but in the evening news of 1910
Ev. News.13.8.1910.jpg

But Starling & Lock are listed at 100 New St in kellys 1912 till 1924. In 1910 it is just Starling. In 1932 they have gone.

thanks mike so the photo was taken in new st not corporation st...yet another photo where the location is wrong...thanks for sorting it

lyn

Back