• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Curzon Street, Malthouse Lane, Lawley St.

lesg128

george 1st
I recently discovered that my family lived near Curzon Street off Lawley Street.
I believe my Great Grandfather was a Wood Sawyer and probably had a house on Malthouse Lane.
Suddenly I had a very clear flashback to childhood where together with another child I was frightened by a loud buzzing sound which came from a pile of sawn wood. I remember someone saying the noise was was from Hornets and their sting could kill you. We quickly ran away.
I guess I was aged 5.
My Great Grandfathers name was Joseph Rhodes and it seemed that the family were engaged in the sawing of wood.
I believe that Curzon street is now going to be part of the new HS2 railway line and the old railway station (still standing) is going to be renovated.
Are there any pictures of the area showing its original building?
Thanks.
Les

are you after photos of lawley st curzon st malthouse lane or all of them and what years are we looking at

lyn

Hello Astoness
I would really like photos of all 3 streets and is there a map of the area particiularly Curzon Street.
I lived nearby the railway marshalling sidings on Lawley Street and Curzon street from 1934 until 1942 when our house was bombed.
Thank you for your interest.
Les

hi les i will search my photos for you and hopefully mike one of our map experts will post you a map showing all of those 3 locations

lyn

Below is a map c1950 showing area around Curzon and Lawley Streets. also one , again c1950, showing Malthouse Lane. To view the larger map it is best to download and view separately on your computer

map c1950 area around curzon st.lawley stA.jpgmap c1950 Malthouse Lane.jpg

Back