• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Crossed rifles uniform badge

skillion

proper brummie kid
Can anyone tell me if this uniform badge is from WW1? Is it a sharpshooter badge?
I have some ancestors who were involved in WW1, but I also have an ancestor who was a Sargeant with the Monmouthshire Regiment in the 1850's. Is it possible it could be from back then?
Thanks for any help you can give me.

View attachment 53628

The crossed Rifle badge has been worn by all services since WW1 through to today. Army and Royal Marine Marksmen along with all service shooting teams that take part in the annual Bisley Shooting Competitionn wear the same badge. the only difference is the colour of the thread. I myself (Royal Navy) wore a gold threaded badge on my No1 uniform and a red badge on my No2's this being worn just above the right cuff. Although the badge looks gold in your picture it doesn't mean it was a RN badge. It could infact belong to a number of units as gold seemed to be the prefered colour for most Regimentel No1 uniforms. So the only thing you can be sure of is that the wearer was a very good shot with either a rifle or a pistol.

This was an emblem showing that the individual wearing it was a musketry master, or (good shot) the badge looks older than WW1.

Just to add confusion - The postion of the badge worn denotes what he was
On the cuff - Marksman
On the upper arm - Small Arms Instructor (still the same today)
With an S above the crossed rifles - Sniper.
This looks to me like, Brown on a Dark Green background - Rifle Brigade ie Light Infantry / Royal Green Jackets.
Hope this helps
JB

Back