• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cromwell Place, Carlisle Street

J

JonathanD

Does anyone have a detailed map of the Carlisle Street area of Birmingham. My great-grandparents lived at 7 Cromwell Place, Carlisle Street where one of their children was born in 1898. I am trying to determine whether this is a back-to-back house. I have look at the maps on british-history.ac.uk which show Carlisle Street, but do not indicate where Cromwell Place was located.

Thanks,
Jonathan

jonathan
The 1890 map you have seen almost certainly does not include Cromwell place. A better map for you purposes is below from c 1903. In fact the "1890" map is probably more accurately described as 1888, as 1890 was the publication date, not the survey date. You can see that there is much more in the 1903 map. The directories i have so far looked at are not very forthcoming as to cromwell place . It is listed in the list of streets/ terraces at the beginning, which means that it was a terrace off Carlisle st, not just a row of houses called "Cromwell place", which does happen. It is not listed as leading off carlisle st, however. You can see from the map that there are two terraces off carlisle st (marked in red). I will try and see if i can narrrow it down to one of them
Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the map - this clarifies things pretty well. Do you also happen to have a similar style map of Berkley Street? My great-grandparents lived on Berkley Street the following year (1899) where my great-grandfather worked for the Anchor Tube Company.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

I lived at 5 back of 14 Carlisle Street from 1966 until 1969. As far as I know the terrace didn't have a name.

Regards Carol

jonathan
I finally have clarified which is Cromwell place from the 1921 and 1932 directories, and map is below. The terrace below carlisle st is Cromwell place, and is marked in blue. If I'm Not clear then let me know
The map of berkely st is attached. also.
(when reposting I did not have originals, have not posted exactly the same version, and so have altered wording to make what I have posted clear)

map_c_1903_carlisle_rd_showing_cromwell_place.jpg

map_c_1904_berkely_st.jpg

Back