• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

CPL. MATTHEW ERNEST DUNCAN, 4981 Worcestershire Regiment

MILLS

master brummie
Another one for the super sleuths amongst you.
Born in 1873, though his Boer War papers say 1875.
What these papers indicate is that Matthew joined the 4th Militia Worcestershire Regiment, 4563, on 26 June, 1897, age 21 yrs. 9mths. Re-enlisted into 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment, 4981, on 17 August, 1897. Discharged 16 August, 1909.
2 addresses shown 122, Crompton Rd., Aston and 10 Mansfield Drive, Mansfield Rd., Aston.
Married Clara Beach, 23 May, 1905. Father A Duncan,13 Queen St., Stirling (deceased) and a brother who is serving in the Gloucestershire Regiment in Calcutta.
Cross referencing with the above data I have found that he was born 27 September, 1873. Baptized 28 December, 1873 Father Alexander Charles and Mother Emily (Bayliss) living in Aston Rd.
Living with the Bayliss family in Coventry in the 1881 Census, with older brother Alexander J. In 1891 Census again living with Bayliss family, this time in Aston Rd.,B'ham. On 1910 Electoral Roll he's living at 40, Somerset Rd., Erdington. On the 1911 Census he is still living there with wife Clara. His Brother Alexander is a serving soldier with Gloucestershire Regiment in India. He incidentally also marries a Beach girl. The 1935 Electoral Roll shows him living at 198, Short Heath Rd., Erdington. 1939 Census he is now living with wife and daughter, Mabel C at 82 Warren Hill Rd., B'ham. By 1945 Clara had died? and by 1950? so had Matthew, using the Electoral Rolls.
Not been able to determine when he died. Can anyone find this please?
Thank you,
David

Death reg. for a Matthew Ernest Duncan of the right age - Sep qtr 1946, Great Yarmouth.
Yes I found this but as it was a year after he was recorded living with his daughter in Birmingham I wondered if this was correct. I was hoping someone would find another possibility. Several of the trees on Ancestry suggested this also. Looks like this is the likely one.
David

Back