• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cox and Luckman planemakers

• Thread starter margaret sheridan
  • Start date
M

margaret sheridan

Hi there,
My maiden name is Luckman and my family came from Newtown Row,Aston .

Does anyone know anything about a partnership called "Cox and Luckman" They were Birmingham Plane makers ( wood working planes)

Any help much appreciated
Kindest Regards
Margaret

Hi Margaret,

My maiden name was Luckman. We are a Birmingham family. I am the youngest of four children, Peter, William, Georgina and Caroline (me). My father was called George Henry Luckman and born 1928 in Hockley with sisters Florence and Doris and a brother Len. Unfortunately my father died in 1981 aged 53. I believe his father was also George Luckman (am waiting on certificates) and married Florence Feeney. I wonder if the George 1902 could be my relation, although it may have been a John Luckman. My sister Georgina Luckman (named after dad) works with a lady whose mother Brenda was also Luckman and her father was Frank Luckman. We are trying to see if we have any distant connection.

I have also seen another post re Ronald Luckman. Ronald was my Dad's cousin and emigrated to Australia. Ronald married Catherine and I believe had 5 children, one being Carol Luckman who I have been in contact with in Australia.

I know your post was many years ago but I hope you respond.

Thanks.
Caroline

Caroline there was a Luckman who ran an antique shop in Knowle a few years back. He is still around but the shop is no longer. Unfortunately Margaret is showing as a Guest which means she ended her membership of the forum. Still a chance she may look in though.

As Bernie says, Margaret is no longer on the forum. This was posted before I joined, but maybe the info will be of interest to others. From directories:

1839-41 Cox & Luckman, plane & tool manufacturers, fire . Darwin street
1845-1849 Cox & Luckman, plane & tool manufacturers, fire iron & fender makers, Darwin street
1855-73 Cox & Luckman, manufrs. of fire irons, iron bedsteads, counter weighing machines & planes, 11 Ryland st
1876-1879 , Cox, Luckman & Son. Fire iron manfs, Ryland St
1882-1884 Cox, Luckman & Son. Fire iron mans. &c. 24 Stanhope street, Highgate
1888-1890 Cox, Luckman & Son.(est 1835) Manufs of Fire irons, fire brasses, carpenters and joiners planes,emery cloth & glass paper, 19-29 Stanhope st
1892-1895 Cox, Luckman & Son. Manufs of Fire irons, kitchen pokers & rakes, fire brasses, brass dogs, brass curbs and other fenders , carpenters and joiners planes, counter weighing machines ,19-29 Stanhope st
1897 Cox, Luckman & Son. Manufs of Fire irons, fire brasses, brass dogs, brass curbs, carpenters and joiners planes, , 19-29 Stanhope st
1899 Cox & Luckman Fireron makers, 19 Stanhope St
1900-1913 Cox & Luckman Fireron makers 89½ Gooch St
1915 Cox & Luckman firea-iron makers 250½ Bradford St
Not listed 1921
Mike

Hi Mike,
Thanks so much for this information. I believe the Luckman (in Cox and Luckman) related to William Luckman. William Luckman (Snr) was born in 1802 and his son William Luckman (Jnr) was born in 1823 and was a planemaker. His son George Luckman born in 1851 was a bedstead maker (also maker of the telegraph cycle), which also seems to tie-in. I may have traced the Luckman family back to at least 1652. Am pleased at least that part of my family is Brummie through and through.
Thanks again, Caroline

Back