• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coventry Road South Yardley

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Took me some time to locate this 1950s view on present day maps but I think I have the correct spot. It’s near Swan Island. The row of shops behind the cars are still there (at the corner of Willard Road).

I also made use of Oldmohawk’s post of a 1950s aerial view from another thread to help locate this one.

Viv

2A8ED1A3-9799-4ECC-B325-3CF40467EB85.jpeg
FC95F937-8DF9-4645-A833-C2E7863F93EF.jpegD8FA006D-DB14-424C-98A9-1E4D2C2B33E3.jpeg

I wondered what the sign was just visible in the first photo of post#1. A useful clock at this busy junction and being part of an impressive garage forecourt. Thanks. Viv.

Yes Ann, they were helpful when trying to find it on a modern day map. Also the Bundy clock (bottom left) helped to narrow it down as it must have been an important stopping point/terminus for buses. Viv.

Last edited:
In the 1950s my band played at the Swan Pub upstairs in the front, on weekends. When we were kids, my sister Joan and I visited a relative that lived near there on Coventry Rd, you can see a Trolly Bus in the going by. I was about 5 or so then around 1938 or so

Attachments

• 120508535_2860517364048281_7693947472795951242_n.jpg
    120508535_2860517364048281_7693947472795951242_n.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 25
My Mother worked on Saturdays and my Dad would take me up to the Swan and hand me over to Aunt Connie or Gran, who shared a house near the cemetery, for the day. Always remember walking towards Acocks Green past the funeral homes and florists with their wreaths and flowers for sale. We also used The Swan after family funerals.

My Mother worked on Saturdays and my Dad would take me up to the Swan and hand me over to Aunt Connie or Gran, who shared a house near the cemetery, for the day. Always remember walking towards Acocks Green past the funeral homes and florists with their wreaths and flowers for sale. We also used The Swan after family funerals.
There also down that road to Acocks Green, it crossed a canal that we nippers used to go down to. Both my parents were cremated at Yardley Cemetery.

There also down that road to Acocks Green, it crossed a canal that we nippers used to go down to. Both my parents were cremated at Yardley Cemetery.
My Gran and Aunt lived in Kilmorie Road , just beyond the Grand Union Canal and off to the right. They would walk the dog down on the towpath and around the cemetery. At one time there were canal trips running from the city that could be picked up down below the bridge.

The Swan indoor market adjacent the Tivoli Centre, with the flats Bakeman House, happy memories area .
My mother used to go to the indoor market at the Swan. Used to be quite a few shops up at the Swan. I remember using the multi- storey car park many times and trying to negotiate the windy levels from floor to floor without kerbing your wheels .Fortunatley it was just wheel trims then .

My mother used to go to the indoor market at the Swan. Used to be quite a few shops up at the Swan. I remember using the multi- storey car park many times and trying to negotiate the windy levels from floor to floor without kerbing your wheels .Fortunatley it was just wheel trims then .
During the 60’s,70’s, and early 80’s the whole area around the Market, was a thriving shopping environment. Allied Carpets opposite Bloomers, a supermarket , Comet electrical. Indian restaurant
I was there a few weeks ago it had changed a lot, very dismal and litter everywhere .

Another view of the flats / Swan shopping area, taken on the Colliers side of the Swan (A45) underpass pedestrian area.
Source 2006 Birmingham live

Attachments

• D6FC9D11-F7AE-409F-920A-648148F71AFA.jpeg
    D6FC9D11-F7AE-409F-920A-648148F71AFA.jpeg
    679.5 KB · Views: 12
That car park was really tight, in early 1960's I had a 1930's Wolseley NF and I always had to back up a couple of times to get around each of the turns.

Back