• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coventry Road Small Heath

• Thread starter Thread starter Neville Philpott
  • Start date Start date
N

Neville Philpott

According to one of the trade directories my Father had a tobacconists/sweetshop at 389a Coventry Road, sometime in the 1930's.

Would anyone be able to pinpoint where on the Coventry Road number 389a would have been?

many thanks..

I looked too but I thought it would have been on the opposite corner to CBS in the block where the pastry shop is, because in the Kelly's for 1940 the only properties mentioned on the CBS side in between Jenkins Street and Whitmore Road are Small Heath Baptist Church and then Mills, Leslie G..Friutr, then it starts the other side of Whitmore with 389 and 389a...I could be wrong though...??

I borrowed this photo from Phil's Old Street's thread, (hope he won't mind) I don't know when it was taken but can anyone make out the name of the shop with the white sign that is slightly higher than the others?? in the low block of shops.. If it was A, Maturi's & Sons then I believe that was 393 as in kellys 1940... after that also in 1940, going towards Whitmore was 391a Goodman and Sterling, 391 Midland Pianos, 389a Philpott O E & H, Conf 389a Jones, Herbert Hairdresser, 389 Winter, Joseph tailor then Whitmore Road, so perhaps it was where Grange Saloons or the first part of Coronet Motors was ??
30 Small Heath Coventry Rd (11).jpg

Sorry I didn't read properley and was going for 387½. 389½ was the other side of the junction

Back