• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Corn & Seed Shop, Lozells Road, Lozells, 1939

Biggers68

Brummie babby
Does anyone have any information about a Corn & Seed Shop in Hartington Road, Lozells, during 1939, please? I'm just researching my family history and my great -uncle, Jim Barker, is shown as the proprietor of a corn and seed shop. They lived in 81 Hartington Road, Lozells so I'm assuming that's where the shop was.

Does anyone have any information about a Corn & Seed Shop in Hartington Road, Lozells, during 1939, please? I'm just researching my family history and my great -uncle, Jim Barker, is shown as the proprietor of a corn and seed shop. They lived in 81 Hartington Road, Lozells so I'm assuming that's where the shop was.

i guess the shop could have been in hartington road but i suspect it it more likely to have been somewhere along the lozells road..hopefully someone can check the 39 register for you as i am not subbed to ancestry at the min

lyn

There is a William James Barker listed in the 1939 Kellys as a corn & flour dealer at 81 Lozells Road. The numbers in Hartington road do not appear to go as high as 81, so possibly your address is wrong. The electoral roll (only some of which are inline) shows him there from 1935 till 1952. In 1939 he and Lilian Barker were listed there with John Henry bibb & Lilian Bibb

map c1950 showing Hartington Road and 81 Lozells Road.jpg

thanks mike i thought the shop could be on the lozells road...i may have a photo of it will check my files later on

lyn

i think the corn shop is still there but its now alphas barbers shop

i guess the shop could have been in hartington road but i suspect it it more likely to have been somewhere along the lozells road..hopefully someone can check the 39 register for you as i am not subbed to ancestry at the min

lyn
It is definitely Lozells Road on 1939 Reg with wife Lilian who is listed as assisting in the business

Thank you! That's all incredibly helpful. If you do have an old photo of the shop that would be wonderful but failing that I'll have to look at Alphas Barber Shop.

Thank you! That's all incredibly helpful. If you do have an old photo of the shop that would be wonderful but failing that I'll have to look at Alphas Barber Shop.

when i have time i will search my photos but there are a lot of photos on the lozells road thread

lyn

There is a William James Barker listed in the 1939 Kellys as a corn & flour dealer at 81 Lozells Road. The numbers in Hartington road do not appear to go as high as 81, so possibly your address is wrong. The electoral roll (only some of which are inline) shows him there from 1935 till 1952. In 1939 he and Lilian Barker were listed there with John Henry bibb & Lilian Bibb

View attachment 150250
Thank you for your time in replying to this. It's very helpful.

when i have time i will search my photos but there are a lot of photos on the lozells road thread

lyn
I'll have a look at the Lozells Road thread but if you do come across any photos I'd appreciate it. Likewise, if I find them on the thread I'll let you know.

lyn
I've had a good look through the Lozells Road thread and it was really interesting. Even spotted an article with a photo outside the picture house with my great-grandma in it! Unfortunately I couldn't see a picture of the corn and flour shop but I might have missed it.

there are photos of the corn shop before it became such ...such as this one..berners st on the right and no 81 would be about the 4thNo 479 Lozells Road Aston Birmingham c1900.jpg shop from the corner of hartington road on the left circa 1900...note the horse turning out of hartington

there are photos of the corn shop before it became such ...such as this one..berners st on the right and no 81 would be about the 4thView attachment 150266 shop from the corner of hartington road on the left circa 1900...note the horse turning out of hartington
That's wonderful! Thank you so much for taking the time to post this and reply. I must get my bottom over to Lozells Road to see what it looks like now. Many thanks!

Back