• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Colmore Circus

ellbrown

ell brown on Flickr
Was on Colmore Row today. Noticed that you can see the Alpha Tower from there as well (from Colmore Square).

Is good that so many Victorian architecture has survived. Many have Grade II listings. Is a shame for the buildings demolished in the '60s, to be replaced with something that they want to pull down now.

Don't think I know Colmore Sq. Where is that?

Yes agree that many of the 1960s buildings don't seem to have the appeal, interest or quality of architecture (or all of these things) of other periods. But at the same time, perhaps, we should try to preserve good quality buildings of the 60s/70s. But what I wonder?! Viv.

This is an area that has changed so much over the last 10 or so years. Looks to me like this must be near to where the Gaumont Cinema was. Viv.

In the 1980s this area gave you a sense of a lot of wasted space. Very glad to hear the subways have gone. Was quite a cold and hostile place. (What do they do to get rid of subways? Just fill them in?) Good to see the present day development seems to make much better use of the space. Viv.

Is quite busy here at lunchtimes.

Business people going to lunch. Skateboarders around. Also noticed some kids on some kind of kangeroo boot things yesterday.

Is easier now to get from Steelhouse Lane to Colmore Row. On the Snow Hill Queensway - Bull Street side, the Midland Metro will go through there in future towards New Street Station.

I don't know what planners were thinking back in the '60s when they lowered the area for pedestrians and put a circus above for vehicles.

Back