• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cole & Co .Trunk Makers

angela burley

master brummie
Hi everyone,on 1911 census my grandmother aged 19 and living in College Road Saltley is working at Co Dollman and T, trunk makers,has any one information about this firm,thanks Angela

I don't have any info on the company you mention but trunks were used like suitcases. My aunt had a very large one in the 1930's she went on a cruise around the Caribbean. Not bad for a gal from Aston. My cousin used the same trunk in the 60's when she went to London University. I wonder if it came from Co Dollman&T.

No firm of that name is listed in the Kellys fro 1910 or 1912. Possinly the name was a trade name and not the official name of the company. there was in Saltley the firm:
Cole & Moore, Ash road, Saltley
Mike

I wonder if it is the same firm, wrongly transcribed if the census writing was poor, begns with the right letters? Don't have 1911 access so can't look, maybe someone else could though?
My great-aunts had 4 big trunks in their attics in Station Road, full of old clothes and material, sadly it all went when they moved out,or I think it would be interesting to see now - again, I never took much notice of it as a youngster, mores the pity.No idea what happened to the trunks though.
Sue

Hi everyone,thanks for your input, as usuall really helpfull. I decided to look again at 1911 census via Genes Reunited and bingo question answered. Originally i only viewed transcribed details costing 10 credits,£1. Original census form cost 30 credits £3 but on viewing there it was Cole and Co trunk makers,Ash Road,Saltley,it was my grandmothers brother Alfred on the line above who worked at (looks like)Tant &Co,Dollman St. If anyone knows about that workplace i will be happy to hear from them , i know there are some ex Dollman St members on the forum. On 25th December 1916 my grandmother was married at St Saviors church Saltley and she then lived in St Saviors Rd where my dad was born.Thanks Mikejee.Angela.

Two Tants in Dollman St in 1912 , both at no 107:
Tant W. H. & Co. ebonite manufacturers
107 Tant (The) Paper Co.makers of crinkled paper

Mike

Back