• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coaney & Co Dale End

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
A little gem of a building. Courtesy Keith Turner/Birmingham Central Library

Attachments

• City Dale End - Moor St.jpg
    City Dale End - Moor St.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 29
Di, I wonder if the E.Coaney & Co., shop in the photo was the forerunner of Coaneys who hired out crockery and utensils for functions.

In a slightly later Kelly's E Coaneys is listed as a Glass & Bottle Maker at 88 Moor St......There is also E Coaneys listed as a Glass & Bottle Maker at 39 Dale End. The sign above the shop with Coaney on also has a pointing finger!

Number 45 Dale end is a clothier and the picture states the window is full of sox

Sylvia it might be that the company or or family member went on to do as you say. O0

ll.jpg
I have discovered this lovely picture in amongst my 'bits', I am assuming it is the picture being discussed on this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a table knife of unusual design from E. Coaney and Co. Ltd, Dale End, Birmingham. When I was a boy in the 1950s this was my 'personal' knife. I don't know how we came to have it, and I've never come across another one like it.P1020395.JPGIMG_20170424_205019987.jpg

In a slightly later Kelly's E Coaneys is listed as a Glass & Bottle Maker at 88 Moor St......There is also E Coaneys listed as a Glass & Bottle Maker at 39 Dale End. The sign above the shop with Coaney on also has a pointing finger!

Number 45 Dale end is a clothier and the picture states the window is full of sox

Sylvia it might be that the company or or family member went on to do as you say. O0
I know this post is probably too late but just to say that Coaney’s in Dale End was owned by my grandfather Frank Stanford (who also owned Stanford and Mann’s in New Street, stationers and printers) and was run by my mother during the 1950s. It supplied crockery and kitchen utensils to hotels and even cross-channel ferries. I remember as a child, using a sand-blaster to blast “Mitchell & Butler” on glass beer mugs. It moved to Paradise Street I think in the 60s.

A little gem of a building. Courtesy Keith Turner/Birmingham Central Library
I have found a large patch of various broken pottery glass bottles oyster shells ect in Sandwell valley a piece of crockery maybe a mustard pot ? Was amongst the debri it had this name and address stamped on it E. Coaney&co 82 moor street Birmingham Dale end . I looked it up and found your site I’m glad I did , what a great photo of the building my find was made in !

Back