• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Co-op Dairies In The 40's

Jemina

master brummie
Does anyone remember the Co-op Dairy on the corner of Cubley Rd & Stratford Rd Hall Green?
I used to help the Milkman,the Horse was called Glider,and I used to think it was great sitting on the Cart by the Milkman.

Jemina

:star:

I can't say that I remember the dairy's location but what I do recall was that a Co-operative horse took fright near the bottom of Acheson Road, Hall Green near the city boundary. What caused the fright I do not know but suffice to say the tall milk float the horse was pulling overturned, the shafts broke, the horse I believe was eventually caught in the main shopping area of Shirley.

Whether this was the same horse Gilder - from memory it was a light colour - I do not know. I often wondered how many pints of milk were spilled that day. :culpability:

This post reminds me of the ghastly milk (sterilized) frequently sold in the Midlands. I have only seen it sold in Devon in a few shops which mainly catered for tourists. Is it still available? Not that I would want to buy it!

My milkman (Express Dairies who have taken over the Co-op rounds) told me that they have closed the stera bottling plant in Liverpool and they will be importing it from Germany in the future at 30% extra cost. No wonder our dairy farmers are complaining.

I worked as a 'Roundsmans Assistant' at the Co-op Hall Green depot but it was 1956 when I started there.

I worked at the Co-op dairy kingstanding road when I was fourteen in 1940 When I was sixteen I had my own round as the older guys went in the forces NEWBIE BRUMMIE

My milkman (Express Dairies who have taken over the Co-op rounds) told me that they have closed the stera bottling plant in Liverpool and they will be importing it from Germany in the future at 30% extra cost. No wonder our dairy farmers are complaining.

Had another chat with my milkman today and he tells me that he no longer collects empty stera bottles. Customers are now told to put them in the recycling bins as the dairy can no long reuse them. Not a very good environmental policy.

Its over 20 years now since glass milk bottles vanished from Dublin, I have a selection plus a couple of crates set aside for posterity. Its a shame the way they don't re-use bottles any more. I remember piles of drink bottles outside the back door that we would let build up then bring them down to the supermarket to get a few bob back on them. Bottle banks are fine but are quite often a distance from home.

Simon

Does anyone remember the Co-op Dairy on the corner of Cubley Rd & Stratford Rd Hall Green?
I used to help the Milkman,the Horse was called Glider,and I used to think it was great sitting on the Cart by the Milkman.

Jemina

:star:
Yes, I do remember the Co-op Dairy. Coming up Cubley Road from Sarehole Road, the Dairy and Co-op Shop was on the right on the corner of Cubley road and Stratford Road. On the left was Willmotts, a sports outfitters, a few other shops, and then the Rialto Cinema. In the 1940s and 1950s there were horse-drawn milk carts but I never saw them come down Cubley Road as it was probably too steep.

horse.png
In an earlier posting I said I worked at the Hall Green Co op milk depot. This depot covered Hall Green, Shirley, Acocks Green, Sparkhill and various other places infringing into other areas. I worked on all the rounds because I was a spare and covered for assistants who were off sick or on holidays. I do not remember the horse pictured above so it was more than likely pre, 1956

I also worked as a Co-Op assistant milkman , I was at Hall Green for a year from 1960 to April of 61. I worked with Dennis Sweetman on the round that took in most of Shirley area, he was a good guy but got snotty if I was a few minutes late for loading up. we had one of the bigger milk floats and after wetting the wooden deck he,d slide them down for me to stack. I,m sure he used to hurl them down harder when I was late, had to dodge out the way sometimes! Enjoyed my time there tho, great when the relief roundsman came on, we would rush through the round and then spend an hour in the cafe by the 37 bus terminus on Stratford Rd before heading back to Dairy to finish at 1 o clock! Happy Days!

Hello barester, I remember a Jack Blakemore who was frequently bad tempered, his round was all the side roads to the left of Stratford Road after the junction with Olton Road, he also used the café you mentioned.

Hello barester, I remember a Jack Blakemore who was frequently bad tempered, his round was all the side roads to the left of Stratford Road after the junction with Olton Road, he also used the café you mentioned.
Hi Stitcher, seems to me they were all bad tempered, great fun with the other assistants tho, pay day, over to record store over the road from the dairy, buy latest rock record.Fridays and Saturdays hard work tho, assistant delivered all the milk while roundsman collected money! If I remember right, got 8 pound a week!! Have a good one, Barester.

I remember it was well known that Jack Blakemore was a Dunkirk veteran and when the film was released a male customer walking along the road called over and said "I went to see the new film Dunkirk last night, it is very good you ought to go and see it!. Jack blew his top and shouted back, "go and see it, go and see it you ******* idiot, I was there".
Although he was short tempered and rather abrupt with people he was a genuinely nice bloke really.

Post 10, from Stitcher, adequately shows the Co-Operative milk float and horse than I remember seeing in Shirley. I wonder if it is the same horse that was frightened and bolted on the down hill section of Acheson Road, Hall Green. I gather the float overturned and the horse was eventually caught in Shirley.
Early 1950's would be an approximate date as I recall it.

That incident may have been a bit before my time with the Co-Op Alan, I started at Hall Green in 1956-57 but I never heard about it before. My brother also worked at Hall Green, he was 2 years older than me. His horse bolted on Severne Road and ended up downstairs on a 31a bus at the junction with Gospel Lane. No one was injured and the horse was o/k as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a co-op milk round, not sure of the year but it was an electric vehicle and we operated out of Lawley St. I did most of the work as it was not an official job. The driver would pay you out of his own pocket to do all the humping.
Dave A

View attachment 117151
In an earlier posting I said I worked at the Hall Green Co op milk depot. This depot covered Hall Green, Shirley, Acocks Green, Sparkhill and various other places infringing into other areas. I worked on all the rounds because I was a spare and covered for assistants who were off sick or on holidays. I do not remember the horse pictured above so it was more than likely pre, 1956
This used to be our horse when I worked there after leaving school in 1953,the roundsman's name was George we used to deliver milk in Tyseley rounb by Smith's crisps and all round there.

Back