• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Claverdon Street

pedlarman

master brummie
Hi, Mike, Ernie, Phil,

Do any of you experts on the 'Old End' have any maps that might tell me where Claverdon Street may have been in 1881?

I'd be obliged if you could guide me there...

Cheers,

Jim Pedley (pedlarman)
icon14.gif

Hi Jim

This will at least let you know where it was located, but I know that mikejee has a much better OS map, which I would think he will put up for you.

Phil

Attachments

• Birmingham Street Plan 1885 (1).jpg
    Birmingham Street Plan 1885 (1).jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 40
Bojalu,

I can't show you a lot of the street, but I can show you the Great Francis St end with the Railway Inn and the Bloomsbury St end with Lodge Tyre.

Attachments

• Nechells Great Francis St- Claredon St The Railway Inn.jpg
    Nechells Great Francis St- Claredon St The Railway Inn.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Nechells Claverdon St - Bloomsbury St Lodge Tyre.jpg
    Nechells Claverdon St - Bloomsbury St Lodge Tyre.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 31
Hi Bo and all, this pic is the best I can do for Claverdon street and the surrounding roads/streets
I think Claverdon st is or was at the time the photo was taken, is at the back of the school wich was facing on Loxton st

s.jpg

Interet
Does anyone have any photos of Claverdon Street ?
Interesting - in 1909 my ancestor (GGGmother) died at address '1 back 38 Claverdon St, Duddeston'.
Please can someone tell me if that address is a road within Aston Union Workhouse, as I think she and my GGGF were residents there. ?

Interet

Interesting - in 1909 my ancestor (GGGmother) died at address '1 back 38 Claverdon St, Duddeston'.
Please can someone tell me if that address is a road within Aston Union Workhouse, as I think she and my GGGF were residents there. ?
Claverdon Street was about an hours walk from the workhouse, 2.5 miles.

The address is nowhere near the workhouse. Cleverdon St is shown in the map below. I am not quite sure where 1 back 38 is. no 38 is marked in pink , and it is possible that the house was divided into two and then address was at the back. but could also be the blue building , which is not directly back of 38

map 1880s claverdon St.jpg

Back