• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clasp and Roses

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]hi i have recently purchased my grandads medal card it indicates his entitlement to three WW1 medals as well as the clasp and roses. Can someone tell me what Clasp and Roses were/are? he was in the 18th Hussars, dont know if this is relevant.
Thank you.
[/FONT]

A bronze clasp inscribed ‘5th Aug – 22nd Nov 1914' may be issued. When the ribbon is worn alone, recipients of the clasp to the medal wear a small silver rose on the ribbon bar. kieronpatt is this any help?. Len.

[FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica]kieronpatt, One bar bearing the dates “5th Aug.: 22nd Nov. 1914”; one emblem, a rosette, to be worn in place of the bar on the ribbon on the tunic when medals are not worn. Bar had to be claimed.[/FONT] [FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica] Awarded
The medal was authorised in 1917 for award to all who served on the strength of a unit or service in France or Belgium between 5th August and 22nd November 1914. This was principally an army award, although a few Royal Navy personnel qualified, having served ashore at Antwerp during the qualifying period. A few women also received the award having served in France and Belgium as nurses or auxiliaries during the qualifying period. The award of the bar and emblem was authorised in October 1919 to all who had been under fire in France or Belgium between the above dates. The award of the medal was automatic, but in order to gain the bar and emblem a claim had to be submitted and substantiated. Since this could only be done well after the war ended, some who had the necessary qualifying service made no claim and received no bar or emblem. This applies particularly to those who qualified but died later in the war, as many next-of-kin made no claim. Around 378,000 Stars were issued. With thanks to Wikipedia, Len.
[/FONT]

If it's on his index card and there is a code saying "IV" and a date, he did claim it. IV means "issue voucher".

Yes, it means he was discharged to Class Z Army Reserve. This was authorised by an Army Order of 3 December 1918. There were fears that Germany would not accept the terms of any peace treaty, and therefore the British Government decided it would be wise to be able to quickly recall trained men in the eventuality of the resumption of hostilities. Soldiers who were being demobilised, particularly those who had agreed to serve "for the duration", were at first posted to Class Z. They returned to civilian life but with an obligation to return if called upon, for up to 12 months from the date they went into Class Z. The Z Reserve was abolished on 31 March 1920.

You might find this little article to be of interest: https://www.1914-1918.net/demobilisation.htm

[FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica]kieronpatt, One bar bearing the dates “5th Aug.: 22nd Nov. 1914”; one emblem, a rosette, to be worn in place of the bar on the ribbon on the tunic when medals are not worn. Bar had to be claimed.[/FONT] [FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica]Awarded[/FONT]
[FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica]The medal was authorised in 1917 for award to all who served on the strength of a unit or service in France or Belgium between 5th August and 22nd November 1914. This was principally an army award, although a few Royal Navy personnel qualified, having served ashore at Antwerp during the qualifying period. A few women also received the award having served in France and Belgium as nurses or auxiliaries during the qualifying period. The award of the bar and emblem was authorised in October 1919 to all who had been under fire in France or Belgium between the above dates. The award of the medal was automatic, but in order to gain the bar and emblem a claim had to be submitted and substantiated. Since this could only be done well after the war ended, some who had the necessary qualifying service made no claim and received no bar or emblem. This applies particularly to those who qualified but died later in the war, as many next-of-kin made no claim. Around 378,000 Stars were issued. With thanks to Wikipedia, Len.[/FONT]

Len: I have my grandad's WW1 campaign medals.

Firstly, the ribbons were damaged and worn out when I received them. Can you tell me whether I might be able to get the ribbons replaced from somewhere?

Secondly, would you know whether I might be able to apply for the clasp and roses bar at this late date?

I'd appreciate any information you could give me.

Regards,

Jim Pedley (pedlarman)
icon14.gif

Hi Chris and others

Just reading with interest your point about the Issue Voucher number for medals. If there isn't an IV indicated does this mean the medals were definitely not issued and if so, can they still be issued now. Only asking because my father (deceased) never claimed his from World War II so I claimed them after his death.

My grandfather's medal card, (Anthony Rogers, Reg. No. 10558 KRRC) does not appear to have the IV no. Appreciate your thoughts on the matter please.

Thanks

Suzanne

Hello Suzanne.

There was no need to claim the Great War medals; they were all sent out automatically to the soldier or his NOK. The IV's tend to appear only if the medals were returned (usually because they been incorrectly inscribed) and then re-issued.

Back