• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Hospital Lodge Road

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
An old postcard picture featuring the City Hospital, Lodge Road.

Ian.

Attachments

• Winson Green Lodge Rd City Hospital.JPG
    Winson Green Lodge Rd City Hospital.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 32
I think this may have been the City Fever Hospital. There were two on Lodge Road to the best of my memory, All Saints Hospital and the City Fever Hospital. Then there was what became known as Summerfield Hospital, with the entrance in Western Road.

Yes I remeber All Saints in Lodge rd, I had a shop on the flat not far from there and sometimes the patients would come out in their PJ's and walk along the flat. one used to stop outside my shop and put his 2 hands on the window and stay there till I had to phone the hospital up to come and take him back. He said he was holding it up incase it fell. It was such a shame but he seemed happy enough and used to chat to me till they arrived.

hi shortie
quite right indeed there was the two hospitals the one on westeren rd entrace was used for the fever and later transcribed for the fever deceases
and later became listed as the summerfield hospital for the elderly and infimed till its closeing years but also it was there laundry department
where they washed all the bed close and sheeting for both hospitals mentioned also on enrty to the summefield hospital entrance
which with big gates and a huge archway entrance was the portes lodge for the hospitals and the head porters office
and prior to all the years before that it was the old work house ; for the poor people where the hard of hearing department is today is where the old spike
-o as they called it for the old and dispaired people for no= where to live was the night shelter simarla to the rootton house in mosely street
we had a old chap wpork with us many years ago down brookfield avenue at PMT machine builder and sellers whom lived in that particular building outside
and along side of the head porters department of the archises with a big railings running down westeren rd
best wishes astonian;

Carolina - do you mean Dudley Road, now City Hospital or the Fever Hospital or All Saints? The Fever Hospital and All Saints were on Lodge Road, City Hospital was on Dudley Road. Summerfied was in Western Road - my gt grandfather died in Summerfield. Too many institutions on the same site, methinks.

Hi Shortie, I mean Dudley Road Hospital (City Hospital). I remember that All Saints was associated with mental health and then 'Archway of Tears is probably the institutional part of it.

This is from Ted's s site

ARCHWAY OF TEARS
"BIRMINGHAM UNION WORKHOUSE"

Western Road , Brookfields.

Attachments

• Winson Green Birmingham Workhouse.jpg
    Winson Green Birmingham Workhouse.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Winson Green Western Rd Workhouse (2).JPG
    Winson Green Western Rd Workhouse (2).JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Winson Green Western Rd Workhouse.jpg
    Winson Green Western Rd Workhouse.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 14
The Archway of Tears was the entrance to the workhouse and Dudley Road Hospital was the Workhouse Infirmary. The Archway of Tears was nothing to do with Lodge Road which is how All Saints was referred to. I think the entrance to that was on Lodge Road and in fact part of it is still used for day care (or was about three years ago). My mother in law went to the day centre for a while, after having knee replacement surgery, as she developed 'cabin fever' for a while post-operatively. I think a plan of the whole site might be interesting, although there were so many buildings it would be difficult to work out what was used for what. I have a small plan in Chris Upton's book on Birmingham, but I don't think it's the full thing. My gt gt grandfather was in the workhouse, seemingly from choice, for several years until he died in 1915, so I have a deep interest in finding out more. Perhaps one day when I have time I shall do something about it.

yes shortie there was two archways one on the lodge rd and one in westeren rd and many years ago all that site was one huge site
and variuos departments it was in the fifties they started to alter the grounds from one side to another it was a massive site beleive me
you could come in at lodge road and venture through to westeren rd there access was huge with many pathe ways ;
and it also had a prison with in there ajoing the one time called birmingham prison [ meaning winson green jail ]
then they stopped and use it for the severe mental cases but nowi beleive winson green have now encrouched back to it as a extenstion ;
but getting basack to your request i think you will find out eventualy astonian

plan of the birminghm workhouse western road...

birminghamworkhousewesternroad.jpg

My grandad died at 1 Western Road in 1967. My granny died at 77 Dudley Road in 1946. I thought they were hospitals. Could they have been workhouses do you know?
Jojo

hi missyjo
77 was the dudley rd hospital and the western rd was then in that year was westeren rd , it was for the elderly infimed section
around that time my own grand mother was in that westeren rd section for the really old people
and beleive me its a sore eyes to se such elderly people in there ripe old age being supported up by cords to to pull them up
and lift them ; it was there i seen with my own very eyes just how far the human skin can stretch there skins of flesh hanging from the arms was
there flesh of skins like bed sheets and the wards was appallling and along with the smell of death
it brought tears to my eyes and i turned to my mother and said mom i have seen enough and the smell of death on these ward i will wait outside
so thats westeren rd ; i was also born in dudley rd and brought into the world by dr tracie from igleby street ladywood
and he lived in a posh house up from the hospital on selwyn rd edgbaston best wishes astonian

Jojo - I western Roas was the Geriatric Hospital, Summerfield. 77 Dudley Road was Dudley Road Hospital (now City Hospital) but both formerly were workhouse buildings, 77 Dudley Road was the workhouse infirmary. Not as late as 1946 I think, though. You have to remember that the workhouse infirmary was used by anyone who could not ordinarily afford to go to a normal hospital. That is why loads of babies were born there in the early 1900's - people used to book themselves into the workhouse just for the birth as it was either free or very cheap and the care was good compared to giving birth at home.

Thank you both so much for that. We always talk about the good old days but in lots of ways we are better off now aren't we? My lovely grandparents. What an end to the hard lives they had. Thanks again
Jojo

Well I think I've uploaded a photo of Lodge Hospital but I don't think it worked. Jojo

Attachments

• Lodge Road, City Hospital.jpg
    Lodge Road, City Hospital.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 37
Would that not be the old Fever Hospital at the other end of the grounds to All Saints hospital?

Phil

Attachments

• Lodge Rd.jpg
    Lodge Rd.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 23
I think it was Phil, using information passed on via word of mouth. Really must look into this properly when I have time.

mizztjo,

The correct name was the City Fever Hospital so this is where your "City Hospital" may come from. The photo certainly looks like the section of the hospital at the other end of the grounds to the main hospital as far as I remember it. When we used to work in the hospitals it was being used for drug addicts.

It's certainly not any part of the main building as that was much older and a wonderful old building.

Phil

Attachments

• Winson Green All Saints Hospital.jpg
    Winson Green All Saints Hospital.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 24
Thanks Carolina. Not on the Forum yesterday, so apologies for late acknowledgement. I have to say at least one of the entries suprised me - they kept registers of absolutely everything did they not? Bizarre reading.

Back