• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Church grove

ALB10N

master brummie
Has anyone a map showing Church grove off St Andrews road near the Blues ground (c1910)? I think it may have been toward the Kingston road end.

BiLL

Hi Bill
Here's a copy of my 1905 map but I can't see it (might be my eyes!) although both St Andrews Street (by my 1952 map it's changed from Street to Road) and Kingston Road do spill over on to the next map on the left.

I'm not 100% sure where it could be. According to the 1910 kellys, Church grove is between nos 207 and 209 on the south west side of st andrews st.. Keeley st was built later, joining St andrews st on the opposite side of the junction of st andrews rd and street. The 1921 kellys shows no 133 as being south of that junction. On the 1905 map there is an unnamed street running off from st andrews st to the left, but the numbering doesn't fit in very well. The last listed number on that side of the street is 253, just before kingston road. Can find no mention of another st off st andrews road near there, so this road is probably church grove, but am not happy with numbering.
mike

Hmmmmm!!!!
That's a great map... And the description from Kellys is baffling.
My Ancestors lived there from c1913 till 1939. The place is still there on the 1945 electral roll. On the map there are clusters of buildings behind the top corner of Mona road next to the brick works.... I wonder if these were the "other" road/grove etc. etc.
Nahhh!!! Of course they ain't. :(

Thanx for your input.... Will dig deeper,.... soon.

BiLL

Back