• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Church? Cook Street, Nechells

chocks2

master brummie
This is a follow on from the thread called Park Lane I started a couple of days ago.
A friend of mine at work has asked me for any information about "Ebanezers" but he was certain that it was in Nechells. After searching the Forum I gave him the News that "Ebanezers was in Park Lane Aston however he is 100% sure that there was an Ebanezers in Nechells (at this point I started to get confused).
After Further investigation it seems that the place he is refering to was a Methodist Church in Cook Street Nechells. He tells me that he used to go down a driveway between the houses to the Church. I've looked on Google earth and sure enough there is a driveway between two houses but no longer a church. He also tells me that halfway down the drive there was a wrought iron arch with the word "Ebanezers" on it.

Please can anyone confirm this for me? Is anyone able to give me any info' on the church or any memories of it.

Thanks in anticipation!

Chocks

Kelly's 1949,
Cook Street Nechells,
Ebenezer Hall
shown as between Chattaway St. and Buckingham Pl.

Colin

This is a follow on from the thread called Park Lane I started a couple of days ago.
A friend of mine at work has asked me for any information about "Ebanezers" but he was certain that it was in Nechells. After searching the Forum I gave him the News that "Ebanezers was in Park Lane Aston however he is 100% sure that there was an Ebanezers in Nechells (at this point I started to get confused).
After Further investigation it seems that the place he is refering to was a Methodist Church in Cook Street Nechells. He tells me that he used to go down a driveway between the houses to the Church. I've looked on Google earth and sure enough there is a driveway between two houses but no longer a church. He also tells me that halfway down the drive there was a wrought iron arch with the word "Ebanezers" on it.

Please can anyone confirm this for me? Is anyone able to give me any info' on the church or any memories of it.

Thanks in anticipation!

Chocks
Hi. Yes Ebanezer Hall was on the lower part of Cook Street on the right hand side going down to Eliot Street. We had Sunday school and Christmas parties there. I remember an enormous tree at least to us as most of us had a very small one at home if we were lucky. This was during the 50s as we lived in Chattaway street.

Picture 1 is outside Ebenezer Mission. My Nan lived on Chattaway St in the 70s/80s and we used to pop in here now and again.
picture 2 show is taken facing up to Chattaway St from outside the Mission Hall but walk way is now gated.
picture 3 is a commemorative stone on the Mission building.

Attachments

• 43289155-B979-4609-B7C1-D4FE77AA2945.png
    43289155-B979-4609-B7C1-D4FE77AA2945.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • 5CED363A-F6D3-4D28-82AB-510E37A53AAB.jpeg
    5CED363A-F6D3-4D28-82AB-510E37A53AAB.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
  • FAB814A2-C4A3-4A07-A13F-388CA98866F0.jpeg
    FAB814A2-C4A3-4A07-A13F-388CA98866F0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
i am doing a bit of family research for a friend and have found out that her grandad is named on the ebenezer roll of honour..he died in 1916...would i be correct in thinking the roll of honour would be in this ebenezer mission hall...he lived in gt francis st nechells..thanks for any help folks

lyn

Back