• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Christmas Eve

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Christmas Eve always started with a trip to the butcher to pick up the turkey. Mom staggered home with it before going back to buy the rest of her shopping.

Making the stuffing was a ritual, first an onion was boiled until it was soft. Then we made breadcrumbs from a stale loaf of bread, rubbing lumps of it in our hands until it crumbled. The leaves from a dried bunch of sage were rubbed in the same way, then mixed into the breadcrumbs with a pinch of salt and a shake of pepper. All this was mixed together with the onion water, not too much, not too little.

Tomorrow I'll pretend it's the onion that makes me cry while I'm doing all of this with the help of my kitchen blender.

christmas cooking

I have mentioned this before somewhere, but ,hey its christmas I thought I'd say it again.
I used to watch my gran and my mom cooking all kinds of things, but never once saw them weigh anything (probably because we hadn't got any scales )
Everthing came out alright, so they must have been doing something right.

MAY YOUR CHRISTMAS BE ALL THAT YOU WANT IT TO BE,AND THEN SOME. :hohoho:

THATS IT!

WELL, THATS IT ALL THE SHOPPING IS DONE, ALL THE PRESSIES ARE WRAPPED, ALL THE BOOZE IS IN.
ANYTHING THAT ISN'T DONE, WON'T GET DONE NOW.
POSTIES IN HIS PAD, FEET UP, NICE AND SNUG, ALLS WELL WITH THE WORLD.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE :D

OK. So when you are all in bed fast asleep I will creep in and fill your pillowcases with a load of goodies. An apple and orange, a lump of coal and a bag of Crisps.

Ho! Ho! Ho! MERRY XMAS TO ALL, AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT. :D :D :D :D

Back