• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

chester road.

will go back and look at the article keith but i dont think it says...

lyn

sorry keith..it does not say where abouts on the chester road...could be one for the experts to sort out...

lyn

Thanks lyn, I have racked the old grey cells, but cannot think which area of Chester Road this could be???? That is if it is the Sutton/Erdinigton Chester Road I am thinking?

thats it keith..you tell em...i only post the pics...lol...just looked again and it mentions the SHOPS AT THE CHESTER ROAD TRAM TERMINUS...hope that may help....

lyn

Now that gives a new angle They are thew shops at the Yenton Birmingham Road / Chester Road Erdington
Thanks lyn
I knew we would get it in the end

Hi Guys I know exactly where it is... It's actually Sutton Road near 'The Yenton'. The 'Timber Tudor style' shop on the corner was Hancox and Dodge 167 Sutton Rd, I worked there in the 1960's it later became a Moyal and Adams shop. The horse stable was still at the back of the shop when I worked there, it was used for storage then. The top window at that time was a solicitors office.
View attachment 47739 This how it looked when I was there... I do have a later pic' of when it became a shop selling equipment for the disabled in the 1980/90's. I'll look it out....

Last edited:
well done keith...and extra points go to pom as she also posted a pic...lol

lyn

Thats the number 2 tram terminus just before you enter The Royal Borough Of Sutton Coldfield. Dek

Hi Guys I know exactly where it is... It's actually Sutton Road near 'The Yenton'. The 'Timber Elizabethan style' shop on the corner was Hancox and Dodge 167 Sutton Rd, I worked there in the 1960's it later became a Moyal and Adams shop. The horse stable was still at the back of the shop when I worked there, it was used for storage then. The top window at that time was a solicitors office.
View attachment 47739 This how it looked when I was there... I do have a later pic' of when it became a shop selling equipment for the disabled in the 1980/90's. I'll look it out....

In time will try for a Then and Now Pics, of the pics, yes the Solicitors I used when there.

PS the CO-Op is on the far corner, was there yesterday Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 47785 Couldn't find the one from 1986 .... Here's the shop 2006/7... cleaned those windows many time when I worked there and the step and pavement in the front of the shop....

Last edited:
Haven't seen a milk machine for years. There used to be one on the Pershore Road in Selly Park, outside the old Handsworth Dairies, just after they swapped the horses for 3-wheeled milk floats.

I went to an Indian restaurant a few shops up from where you worked Chris not too long ago. It's the Birmingham Road/Chester Road
end not far from the Yenton pub. Hi Alepot: There used to be a milk machine on Stockland Green in the latel950's. I sw some kids give it a swift kick one night and several small carton's of milk came outofit. Not paid for.

Jennyann the address of the shop was : Hancox and Dodge 167 Sutton Rd Erdington 23 Phone ERD 0073. I still have one of the Grocery order books with the address printed on it... I'll scan and post it on this thread.

Hi Alepot: There used to be a milk machine on Stockland Green in the latel950's. I sw some kids give it a swift kick one night and several small carton's of milk came outofit. Not paid for.

Hi Jennyann, I think that's probably why they no longer exist!

Hey Chock2 I did have that pic' once but lost it with a few others when we did a 'puter change over... thanx for posting it.
Even though it's called The Chester Rd Terminus it is actually Just along from The Yentn Pub... the roads are in fact Sutton Rd, the start of Birmingham Rd and the road to the side of the shop was I think Berwood Farm Rd, I know I cut from where I lived in Hayes Grove down the end of Pitts Farm and along Bowcroft Grove through the ally way on to Berwood Farm Rd, over Orphange Rd and up to Sutton Rd to get to work each day, unles I had the bus fare then I would get the 28 bus up Chester Rd from the top of Pitts Farm Rd and get off at the corner of Sutton Rd...

Chris Berwood Farm Rd ended at Orphange Rd Harman Rd ran up to the Sutton Rd my Auntie god bless her lived at 79. Dek

Hey Dek does that mean I passed your Aunt's house almost every day 'cept Sunday for two and a half years going to work ,she may even have shopped there too... I wasn't sure if the road (old age) change it's name half way up, that's why I said "I think it was", so thanx for putting me right on that point. I know the manager of the shop (not the owner) Mr Edwards lived in Florence Rd which was just over the road from the shop, I still have an apron that his wife made for me as a Christmas present one year.

you would have passed by my house everyday aswell. I lived on Orphanage Rd near the junction of Harman Rd/Bearwood Farm Rd. Just five houses along going toward Penns Lane.

I wonder what happened to "The Royal Borough OF Sutton Coldfield " sign that stood in between the service rd and the main road. Dek

Jennyann that looks like the one i remember although there were several located around the borough i must have drove past that spot 100s of times and not spotted it but i do remember Gills Toy shop just over the road. Dek

Back