• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chester Road Sutton Coldfield

Sahar

proper brummie kid
Hi. I'm researching my family tree and found out my great grand-parents (Walter & Amy Russell) lived at 20 Chester Rd, Sutton Coldfield in 1926. I know it's now a dry cleaners but wondered if anyone had any info from around the 1920's.
Thanks

They are listed at the same address on the 1921 census. Walter is listed as Farm Labour, so I'd assume it was just a house at that time.

The no. 20 now might not be the no. 20 of then.

They are listed at the same address on the 1921 census. Walter is listed as Farm Labour, so I'd assume it was just a house at that time.

The no. 20 now might not be the no. 20 of then.
Thanks for that. Can I ask who else is listed on the 1921 census as living there? My Nan was born in 1921.

Walter and Amy with children William, James, Mary and Margaret.

There were also possibly twin boys b and d in 1918.

Where on the Chester Road did your great-grandparents live Sahar? The numbers change as the long road moves from Pype Hayes to Brownhills a few times, for example. We lived in Streetly and often got post for the area between Chester Road Railway Station and New Oscott, addressed as "Sutton Coldfield". Was their 1926 location, near the Beggars Bush (near the bank of shops shown below @ picture 1) Picture 2 shows the new 20 (I guess the old one was pulled down)? The third picture shows the old Beggars Bush Pub nearer the time that we are looking back at on the junction of Jockey Road & Chester Road (probably of little help, but I liked the picture ;)).
1667125397801.png 1667125723789.png 1667125998876.png

Last edited:
Where on the Chester Road did your great-grandparents live Sahar? The numbers change as the long road moves from Pype Hayes to Brownhills a few times, for example. We lived in Streetly and often got post for the area between Chester Road Railway Station and New Oscott, addressed as "Sutton Coldfield". Was their 1926 location, near the Beggars Bush (near the bank of shops shown below @ picture 1) Picture 2 shows the new 20 (I guess the old one was pulled down)? The third picture shows the old Beggars Bush Pub nearer the time that we are looking back at on the junction of Jockey Road & Chester Road (probably of little help, but I liked the picture ;)).
View attachment 174362 View attachment 174364 View attachment 174365
Hi. All I know is on Amy’s death certificate in 1926 it says that they are living at 20 Chester Rd, Sutton Coldfield. (Great last pic btw!)

Hi. All I know is on Amy’s death certificate in 1926 it says that they are living at 20 Chester Rd, Sutton Coldfield. (Great last pic btw!)
Thanks. That particular address is coming up as the dry cleaners (2nd picture) @ #6, with a post code of B735DA, which would tie up with the information that has been provided @ #2 by MWS.

Back