• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chelmsley Wood

elle-jay

master brummie
Hello there,

Does anyone have any photo's or memories of Chelmsley wood Housing estate when it was first built or even earlier. I moved to the area as youngster in the 70's and would love to know what the estate looked like when it was been built and before, was it really just a wood, No building at all?

any information would be much appreciated

Hi ,

Chelmsley Wood was just as it says - a "Wood"

I lived in Tile Cross/Kingshurst and as a kid played in the woods, Just off tile cross road was "Bluebell wood" ( named by us kids) ,I remember going to the opening of Chelmsley Shopping Centre (about 1970) and watching the Queen officially open it .

Hello elle-jay,
as it goes my sister in law has been there today,
she said they,ve poshed it up.
we lived there in the 70s in the town center in cheshunt house,
and the top of chelmsley rd by the greenwood tree pub.
just found this on Google if it,s any good to you?
www.solihull.gov.uk/localhistory
regards dereklcg

We used to get the number 14 bus to the terminus (there used to be a Mynah Bird that whistled at everyone!) and walk past The Bell pub. A bit further we would come into "country". On the right was either Marston Green Hospital or a Children's Home. There was always a sign on a tree which read "Trespasses will be Shot".

We spent many a happy Sunday in the Bluebell woods and I also remember the rhododendrons. Coming from Saltley it was a real trip out for us.

Hi Elle Jay,

In the '50' we used to love to ride on our bikes from Sheldon to Chelmsley Wood, especially in the spring to pick the bluebells. Didn't like being chased by the bull though.

Chelmsley Wood in 1925.

Ann

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy days Ann, we had such fun we came as like suemalings from factories and the like up the road in nechells.
when we moved it was only a bike ride away for us as well,strait down the meadway.
regards Derek.

They were, Derek. Lots of happy, carefree days. I can just picture you flying down the meadway. I came down that way enough times. Trouble was, going back up. I bet you did the same rides. Hampton in Arden to look at the trains, on to Meriden, to be 'in the centre of England' and Coleshill, to play in the rivers on the way.
Definately 'have bike, will travel'.
Yes, happy days.

Ann

Back