• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Charles Tonks B.1887

Brummiebell

master brummie
Charles I believe was a Private in the Hampshires 2nd Battalion 28805 Enlisted in Birmingham, he was my Great Uncle and the family believe that he was captured and sent to work in the Salt mines (ypres perhaps) He died in June 1918 and we are trying to find out any info on him and to check out this story. Would this have been Possible for the Hampshires perhaps? Also someone mentioned a wonderful site on here a few months ago whereby they looked up information on the whereabouts on regiments during the war. I did email them and they sent me some wonderful info on my other uncle in the Duke of Cornwall's Light infantry. However I can't find the details again and wondered if anyone knew of it. Many thanks Maria

Hi Maria

Do you have his death record? On Armed Forces BMD details they have:
Charles Tonks
Hampshire Regiment Private 28805 Died 1918 reference - volume 1.57 page 48 so if you send to the GRO you will be able to find the cause and place of death.

General Register Office
PO Box 2
Southport
Merseyside
PR8 2JD

certificate.services@ips.gsi.gov.uk

Tel: 0845 603 7788 or (international) +44 845 603 7788

Bear in mind that certificates relating to overseas deaths will not always be as detailed as certificates relating to deaths that occurred in the UK.

Suzanne

Opening hours
Monday to Friday: 8 am to 8 pm GMT
Saturday: 9 am to 4 pm GMT

Back