• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Charles Jackson, 141 Balsall Heath Rd

eileen jackson

Brummie babby
Can anyone give me any info on Charles Jackson, from Balsall Heath. The only info I have is, he owned a hardware shop, 141 Balsall Heath rd. I only know that he was there in 1946. Don't know if it was a lock up, or if he lived there. Thanks in anticipation :friendly_wink:

Kellys directory for 1946, which would refer probably to 1945 gave no 141 as J.W. Haylock & Co, boot & shoe dealers. The same firm is listed in the 1949 directory. Maybe he owned the site and rented it out to Haylock's. The electoral roll for 1945 list a Charles W. Jackson and Annie Jackson at 144 Balsall Heath Road. Kellys lists 144 as Jackson Bros, hardware dealers. So I would suggest that you have the wrong address. no 144 was listed as occupied by Jacksons in the directories from 1945 (not listed in 1944). By 1962 it is listed as Jackson Bros, secondhand dealers and was listed till 1971, but gone by 1972.

Back