• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Charles Edward Road occupants around 1911 - 1924

TeresaEade

Brummie babby
My Great Great Grandparents lived at number 58 Charles Edward Road from at least 1911 to 1924 when they both died. Their names were John and Mary Ann Meades. Has anyone got any information or hopefully photos of the road during that era as I would be very interested to find out more about their lives at that time. Thank you

As you presumably will know, no 58 is still there, though has been rendered . At the time you are interested in it would have been like the other brick houses to the right of it. I do not know of any photos, but hopefully someone on the forum will have some. Below is a map from the 1950s, with no 58 in red,

map 1950s showing Charles Edward Road.jpg

When your ancestors moved in it must have been very soon after they were built, and the area was much less built up, as can be seen from the c1905 map , where the road does not exist. It would have been just to the left of the New Inn
map c 1905. showing avenue terrace, & lily rd  off  coventry road.jpg

The first sales of houses , at the northern end (now demolished} was in 1905, and 25-37, on the opposite side of the road were offered for sale ( as can be seen below) in July 1906, So the above map must have been surveyed just before road was constructed

Birmingham gazette 21.7.1906.jpg

That’s very interesting, i know they were living there in 1911 with my great grandfather as they are on the census. I wonder if they moved in after 1904. It sounds like a nice house for the time, apart from no bathroom!

That’s very interesting, i know they were living there in 1911 with my great grandfather as they are on the census. I wonder if they moved in after 1904. It sounds like a nice house for the time, apart from no bathroom!

Have you seen the tree on familysearch that includes your Meades relatives? There appears to be a wedding photo of you great grandfather's (Frank?) sister, Ethel.

Yes I have seen that photo. Ethel also lived on Charles Edward Road in 1924 then I think she moved to Yardley Road. I haven’t looked on family search I’ve only been on ancestry, I’ll have a look at that too, thank you

Back