• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Charles Arthur Street

• Thread starter Thread starter Chrissy
  • Start date Start date
C

Chrissy

Any one live there from the 1950's to the mid 60's
who went to Charles Artur St Senior School? and who knew my family? we who lived next door to the school.

The only family that I know that lived next door to the school was the Chatiins or Chatwins I went to school with Leslie and Victor Farr

Does anyone have pics of Poplar Terrace, which was a courtyard of back-to-backs of Charles Arthur Street?

Spooner:)

Charles ...? St

Hi Spooner m8 :) Are you sure its Charles Arthur St ?

Is it possible you mean Charles Henry Street, Highgate, near Gooch St
and McDonald St, Pershore Road way ?
or even Charles Edward Road up in Yardley (Small Heath side)

Its just that i can,t remember a Charles Arthur Street,,
Maybe some others can elaborate & get piccies for you,
Cheers John Y :cool:

John Y....Charles Arthur Street....if I remember correctly was just off Rocky Lane ......going from Aston Cross under the bridge just as the road bears right I think Charles Arthur Street was on the left...or there about

Hiya John
I had the same trouble as you finding the street, but I found it on an old map.

Attachments

• map Nechells (3).JPG
    map Nechells (3).JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:
Got it,

Thanks Postie & JKC m8,s, Yes a little street up by Cromwell Street
back of Bloomsbury up the hill under bridge,,Rocky Lane,,
Oooh! i never went up there,,:rolleyes: me being a shy Astonite amongst
those Nechellians rough mob,,aaaha John Y :cool:
Got any photos for Spooner m8,,

I can only find this one.

Attachments

• Nechells Charles Arthur Street.jpg
    Nechells Charles Arthur Street.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited by a moderator:
Postie, the map isn't quite old enough. Up until the late 1950s, Charles Arthur Street used to run through to Nechells Place, and Poplar Terrace was approx where Charles Drive is on your map.
My grandparents lived in Poplar Terrace, and I have many happy memories of our visits there. They were moved out shortly before demolision of the houses about 1956, give a year or two.
Thanks everyone for your help, but I still would like to see a photo if anybody has one?

Last edited:
Spooner, Is Poplar Terrace not on the link that I posted. This is about 1890 and probably would not have changed that much up until demolition. Maybe you have already seen this map.

Hi Rupert,
I wasn't able to open the map on the link you gave me-our work system blocks pages sometimes for no apparent logical reason. Anyway I have got onto it tonight at home and I opened the page OK. Yes that does show the houses off Charles Arthur Street, and I can see where Poplar Terrace is. I have the Alan Godfrey map, and there are more of them I want to send for. There's also a lot of very interesting information on the back of the Alan Godfrey maps.
Thanks for your help.

Feddie Chattin lived in oliver street behind the school and I think the Farrs lived just around the corner from the school.Mr Bircher was the head master
fannie reece was a teacher also I was there from 1945 to 1949 billy baker was my mate I could go on and on

Back