• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chandelier manufacturers

Phil B

Made in Brum
Can anyone please help with any information on Thomas Horton Bird, who might be my Great Grandfather.
I have found this clip from the "London Gazette" of 1883 referring to a change in ownership of his business. Also does anyone know where Saint Mark Street and Ingleby Street are?
1883 Thomas Horton Bird factory 02.jpg

Thanks
Phil

Ingleby Street and St marks Street were in Ladywood.
Part of St Mark Street is still there and runs from Summer Hill. Ingleby Street was nearby and went from Spring Hill to Monument Road.

Janice

Last edited by a moderator:
Bird, Tremlett & Co, chandelier manufacturers are listed in Kellys at 4 Ingleby St 1i 1883 . In 1882 it is Olddaker & Co & in 1884 the firm owned by Moore & Dalglish. All the companies are listed as chandelier manufacturers. there is no chandelier manufacturer listed in St Mark St in either 1882 or 1880, and in those years there is no chandelier manuifacturer listed under thename of Bird, Daglish or Tremlett.
The map c 1889 shows where no 4 Ingleby St was then in red. ( Note a year or so later the numbering of this st was changed )

Attachments

• map c 1889 Ingleby St showing no 4.jpg
    map c 1889 Ingleby St showing no 4.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
.... there is no chandelier manufacturer listed in St Martin St .....

Hi Mike,
I wish I could find maps like you do, they certainly show exactly where the people lived and worked. just one thing the other address from the clipping is Saint Marks Street not St Martin. I believe St Marks Street could be just round the corner from Ingleby Street. Is there in chance of you doing your magic on this one as well please?

Thanks
Phil

Sorry Phil, that was a typing error. I should have written Mark St. What I said referred to St Mark St. I can give you a map of St Mark St if you wish, but cannot give you a particular building, as the firm does not appear in Kellys

Hi Mike,
No problem! My fingers never follow the brains instructions, I always have to type everything twice.
It would be nice to have the map of St Marks as well if it's not too much bother. Can I ask you to look for another address in Kelly's please. I have the 1911 census for Thomas at 14 Foundry Road. It's shown as a shop and he's a Gas Chandelier Maker. Any more information would be great.
Thanks
Phil

Attachments

• 1911 Thomas Bird02.jpg
    1911 Thomas Bird02.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 6
  • 1911 Thomas Bird01.jpg
    1911 Thomas Bird01.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 7
The map for St Marks St is below.
Thomas seems to be a man of many parts. Kellys for 14 Foundry Road 1910-1915 is Thomas Bird Draper.In 1921 it is Mrs Sarah Alice Bird, draper. the electoral rolls give her living there 1920-1939
Below is also a map showing no 14 Foundry Road.

Attachments

• map c 1889 St Mark St.jpg
    map c 1889 St Mark St.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 5
  • map c 1905 showing no 14 Foundry Road.jpg
    map c 1905 showing no 14 Foundry Road.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
The map for St Marks St is below.
Thomas seems to be a man of many parts. Kellys for 4 Foundry Road 1910-1915 is Thomas Bird Draper.In 1921 it is Mrs Sarah Alice Bird, draper. the electoral rolls give her living there 1920-1939
Below is also a map showing no 4 Foundry Road.
Hi Mike,
Once again thanks for this. Thomas certainly seems to have a number of strings to his bow. This is the right one because I know Sarah is his second wife. Would it be too much to ask for copies of the electoral roll you found? Does Thomas appear on them with Sarah for these years?
Cheers
Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Phil it should be 14 !!!

I missed out 1912, which lists Thomas. Sarah would not have been included then , as she did not have the vote. Sarah was listed 1920 22,25 27,30,35 and 39, with Phillip thomas Horton Bird in 1925 & 27. Thomas is not listed with Sarah on the 1920s on. I had assumed he had died. I cannot put the pages on the forum as they are pdfs, but if you send me your e-mail by IM, then I can send you them

Based on what you have given me I now have the possibility of pinning down Thomas's year of death. I believe he was born about 1845 and from the BMD website I have two possibilities for his death as 1917 and 1919 aged 72 and 74 respectively. I've sent an IM, thanks.
Phil

There is a baptism for a Thomas Bird son of John (I think that is correct as I found a marriage of Thomas and Sarah where it said "Father John") and Ann. The date is 29th Dec 1844 and the date of birth is given as 12th December. Address is Steelhouse Lane, I can't decipher the occupation but the church is St Philips.

Janice

Hi Janice,
Thanks for this, I think you've found the right one. I believe Thomas was born in Dudley then the family moved back to Birmingham for his baptism. When you look at the census records Thomas's place of birth is Dudley but living in Birmingham at the time of the census. Hope you agree. I have yet to send away for his birth certificate.
Thanks again
Phil

Back