• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cecil Street and Ladypool Road : Newbie needs advice

Bishen

Brummie babby
I am trying to find information and preferably photos of my grandads shop in Ladypool Rd and our old house in Cecil St ,Hockley . I would like to fine some history of the Cecil St house, in particular a suicide that took place at sometime . Any leads or advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

I have no idea, I was around 5 ish about 1957. Strangely my younger brother and I saw what we called "the blue man".I know this sounds odd,but we did not know that someone had hung themself there until many years later . I am interested in the history of the house and identity or at least story of the unfortunate suicide man. Your info is close, but we lived in number 15. Still,it is spooky.

Last edited:
Feb 1882 a lady umbrella maker charged with stealing

Sep 1885 a chap living there had a plank fall on him at work

January 1955 an elderly lady received severe burns when the living room caught fire.

Feb 1882 a lady umbrella maker charged with stealing

Sep 1885 a chap living there had a plank fall on him at work

January 1955 an elderly lady received severe burns when the living room caught fire.
Was that at 15 Cecil St ? or nearby?

if our map expert mike spots your post i am sure he will post a map for you highlighting where no 15 cecil st was....just done a google st walk and although the houses were demolished most likely in the late 60s there are still a couple of old factories standing towards the newtown row end of the street..also if you use the search box i am pretty sure there are a couple of old photos of the street on the forum

lyn

only a little bit of brewery st st remains..this is the bit you remember and is still there...the other half of brewery st changed its name to cecil st at least 100 years ago

lyn

Sorry I have no photo of the shop on Ladypool Road back in the day. Bishops Stores at 379 Ladypool Road was at the Church Road end near to the junction with Newport Road (see map) The attached photo is the shop today and it is now the left hand side of Fargo's Food Factory.

ladypool rd.JPG379 ladypool rd.JPG

The 1950 kellys shows only one firm between the end of the street and new summer st, was Turner Bros, toolmakers

A map in this thread shows one end of the travelling crane in the mid 20th. century. It seems to run from a 'ruin' behind the pub (White Swan?) to Cecil Street. At a guess I assume it was connected with whatever the 'ruin' once was.

The attachment in post 693 of this thread shows an aerial clam shell/grab. Maybe this was the 'travelling crane'?

Last edited:
here is a photo of the marquis of lorne pub that was on the corner of newtown rowcecil street marquis of lorne pub.jpegWHITE SWAN CECIL ST HANLEY ST 1958 A4-N53.jpg and cecil st dated 1967 and a photo of the white swan on the corner of hanley st and cecil st dated 1958

lyn

Where the travelling crane is marked on Mikes map Turner Brothers had a yard next to the White Swan where they cut thick slabs of metal into whatever shape was needed, I can remember seeing slabs of metal six-eight inches thick laying flat being cut with a gas torch. Photo is one of John Houghtons.
Dave.

Attachments

• Cecil Street. Newtown 8-7-1958.jpg
    Cecil Street. Newtown 8-7-1958.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
thats it dave...no 15 is the first house on the right of the photo next to the woodworking co so now bishen has a photo of his house he is so lucky as so many of us search for years to try and find photos of where we lived...well done and thanks to john houghton..

lyn

Last edited:
Back