• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

caylie not sherbet

L

lynn winterton

hi
does anyone remember caylie or was it kaylie, you could get plain or rainbow, the best bit was that all you did was dip you finger in the bag and get it covered in the lovely stuff then pop it in your mouth, it lasted ages and whichever sort you got your finger was always bright yellow! dont know if i've spelt it right though!

KAYLIE OR WHATEVER

I USED TO EAT MY KAYLIE WITH MY FINGERS AND PRETEND I HAD BEEN SMOKING AND MY FINGER WAS COVERED IN NICOTINE, 8) STRANGE
, BECAUSE I NEVER DID TAKE UP SMOKING FOR REAL! :?
I ALSO USED TO DIP LIQUORICE IN IT AS WELL. :wink:
ALL GOOD INNOCENT FUN, EH. :lol:

Kaylie was the stuff that looked more granulated, and sherbert was almost flour-like in its consistency? I never did like sherbert that much. Rainbow Kalie was the best.......... There are a couple of places online you can buy most of these Old Fashioned style sweets from.

I only remember having the yellow kali, we bought it for ld (one old penny) in those little triangular paper bags, dipping our fingers in until the
bag was soggy and wet. I was in the GLB - Girls Life Brigade at Christchurch, Six Ways, Aston, and we would buy our kali from a little shop near to Burlington Hall on the High Street, by the time we got to church our fingers would be bright yellow and as we usually fooled about on the way we didn't have time to wash our hands before GLB started and were often in trouble for having dirty hands, our hands were always inspected as was our hair and and shoes. I think we lost points or something if we weren't well turned out.

We called it kalloy

Well Dave and I have dicussed this very important topic at length, and have decided that it definately was kalloy or calloy be it yellow or all colours of the rainbow. I bought mine at the sweet shop on the corner of George Road and Slade Road. Every saturday Mom would give me 9 pence for the pictures, that was 6 pence to get in and 3 pence to spend (I've always been good at maths) Anyway, I used to go in the 4 penny stalls and spend 5 pence usually at the self same sweet shop. My favourite film was about a horse called Gypsy. I don't know how many times I saw it, but I cried every time!
lynda

donna305gopt.jpg
GYPSY COLT

If you mean the film Gypsy Colt? it was the same horse that played Fury in the television seris.

:D Rod your brilliant :!: I loved Fury as a kid as I think most girls did. My sister and I always said, that our best wish was to have a horse of our own. That Dad could teach us to ride (He had worked a lot with horses) and we could ride when ever we wanted 8) . Well here in NZ even living in the city kids own horses, or go to pony clubs :) . I now have a photo taken riding a lovely horse, but in reality I hated every second of it and I'm not really smiling but griting my teeth :( . Both my kids and Colin can ride really well and my sister still has her dream (living in Perry Barr), but that dream of mine has now gone and although I still like horses as for riding I leave that to others :)

Gypsy Colt

:icecream: Rod
Where on earth did you find that one from? They don't make films like that anymore. My grandson wouldn't give you a thankyou for it. Unless everyone is getting blown up they're not happy. I watched Friendly Persuasion this afternoon on TCM all on my own. It was lovely. Not that I am averse to a bit of blood and thunder, I just have to hide my face at the nasty bits. Thanks for the reminder.
Lynda

:crazy2: Mmmm!!! Caylie I loved it - ised to buy it to eat with a lolly pop if I had the money - otherwise a sticky coloured finger that took ages to wash clean!!
There used to be a little sweet shop on Dolman Street in Nechells that sold it - I can't remember the name of it though.
On Saturdays my gran used to give me some money to go buy sweet for myself and my sisters and brother from a shop on Witton Road where she lived in Aston - the shop used to be on a corner and had a bell that used to sound when we walked on the rubber mat inside the door - I loved the smell of the sweet shop and loved shopping for saturdays sweets as I was allowed to go the few doors away all on my own - it felt really grown up - even if I couldn't see over the shop counter!! :)

Kaylie was great. I always got it from Mrs Jagger's shop in Farm Street (see a recent issue of Brumagem magazine - January and February, featuring Mrs Jagger by her granddaughter).
Off subject Sylvia, my sister was in the GLB in the 40s, Rene Ingram; she also had a friend called Peggy. Any chance you were members at the same time?

Michael I don't recall your sister or any of the girls on the photo, did she go to Six Ways Baptist Church, Aston? Our leader was Miss Fox.

I am not sure. We lived in Guildford Street which is of course near Sixways. When I see my sister next I will ask her

Caylie l also loved it but as years went by l heard the word Sherbet and just thought it was a posh name for Kaylie.

I always thought that I might be the oldest on this site, but I am thinking that I might be the baby of the family.

Ann, where's my dummy, and can I have it dipped in caylie?

Robert

there is quite a few old fashion sweet shop opening now that sell caylie have you tried the one in hurst st by the back to back project both the houses and sweet shop are worth a look

Back