• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cardigan St

v60pdb

proper brummie kid
Off Curzon St
I'm looking for photos of Cardigan st of around 1900. In particular of court number 14.
Or even a street map showing court numbers so I can determine where it was in the street. Any help would be appreciated.

Peter Barton
Lincoln

If you use the search button there seem to be several threads which refer to Cardigan Street. There do not seem to be many pics available though/

Brilliant Map pjm! Court 14 is close to where Cardigan Street meets Belmont Row. Modern times its at what3words location crest.logic.power
To see what it looks like today...

Off Curzon St
I'm looking for photos of Cardigan st of around 1900. In particular of court number 14.
Or even a street map showing court numbers so I can determine where it was in the street. Any help would be appreciated.

Peter Barton
Lincoln
This aerial photograph is in 1948. Curzon street runs parallel to the train stock yard from about half way across the picture. Cardigan street is the second road on the right if you were travelling along Curzon street. It runs up to meet Belmont row. Hope this helps.

i am always on the look out for photos of this street....my nan lived there age 3 in 1911 in a pub..would have to check my records but from memory i think it was no 87

lyn

I hope it's ok to jump on this thread as a 'newbie'. I have an ancestor who lived at 30 Cardigan Street. He was killed in France in September 1916. According to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission his parents, Rebecca & William Stonier lived at 30 Cardigan Street, Birmingham. By sheer coincidence my youngest daughter is starting at Birmingham City University in September - which is now on Cardigan Street. This only dawned on me today - I knew they lived in the area around Curzon Street but assumed the street had been swept away with all the new development and HS2. To realise she will be studying where he grew up has made me feel quite emotional. His body was never found and he is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial - which we have visited. I have been looking for old photos of the area all afternoon and came across this thread so thank you so much for sharing these images. To think I was walking up that same street only a few weeks ago for the uni open day!

William Stonier
3rd Battalion Cold Stream Guards
Died aged 19 on September 26th 1916

Judging the website it is posted on, I think it unlikely that the problem will be solved until after 9th August (sometime after)

Back