• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

canal st pics wanted

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all..im looking for pics of canal st...any help would be much appreciated...

many thanks..

lyn

It was just south of Bagot St, between Lancaster st & Staniforth St. Don't think I've ever seen any pictures of it

mike i dont think i have ever seen a pic of it either...this one could be difficult...just found it on my map and it was only a tiny street..

lyn

Last edited:
no big fella..it was a bit further down from price st on the other side...almost at newtown row...

lyn

i thought that canal st was near new canal st....will keep searching for any pics of it but it was that small if you blinked you would miss it...

lyn

Hutton's History of Birmingham lists a Canal Street somewhere between Coventry and Coleshill Street. There were 13 houses there at the time. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331987121.142566.jpg

Hi Lyn. Might be. But I suppose Canal Street could have become New Canal St, and it's also between Coventry and Coleshill Streets. So maybe it was made into a longer street at some time. Hopefully someone will be able to tell us. Viv.

The 1845 PO directory lists Canal st ,Lancaster st & Canal ST (New) - see New Canals st. I expect it was New Canal st listed in Hutton

think you may have this map viv but if not i find it very useful..canal st is just off lancaster st..almost into newtown row..blink and you will miss it...

lyn

1940s20map20of20asto1-2.gif

See what you mean Lyn. Had a look around Streetview. The first view from Staniforth Street is where I'd estimate Canal Street once stood. Looks like it's now a car park. The second view is looking from Lancaster Street/Newtown Row ( bit dark). I think Canal Street would have been behind those hoardings. Viv.

560791fc-a479-bedc.jpg

560791fc-a49d-6f9b.jpg

This is a great map, Lyn, helped me find my way round Soho Road, Soho Hill and into Hockley, it has changed so much, I have had to close my eyes to try recalling what it did look like. When I was a child in Handsworth we had a little dog who was rescued from Hockley Culvert along with his Mum and Sister. He lived to a ripe old age of 17. Thanks for all these wonderful pictures and the memories that go with them. Back to the map, I shall have fun picking out all the places I remember.

Katie

hi katie that map has got me out of trouble more than once lol... and what a lovely story of your little rescued dog..you probably know this already but just in case...if you save that map to your files you will then be alble to enlarge it...

hi viv...yes i would agree with you thats roughly where canal st would have been...
if memory serves me right the car park ground used to be the fire service training ground...
lyn

Looks like it's been empty for quite a while. Just enough room for 13 houses! The New Canal Street over towards Curzon Street would be entirely different. There seems to be very few references to Canal Street either. I've also noticed when searching that New Canal Street sometimes seems to be called Canal Street. Viv.

Viv according to the Census, there were at least 20 houses and 3 Courts. I would imagine it was about the same length as Lawson St., the one with the Turks Head on the corner.
Lynne.

viv i think finding pics of canal st will be very difficult but i will ask a couple of contacts if they have any..crikey if it only had a few houses i reckon you could get them all showing on one pic lol..

lyn

Hi Lynne and Lyn. Maybe then they were similar to Bagot Street houses. I expect most of these would have disappeared with the slum clearances. Viv.

Back