• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Can anyone confirm if this shop was on the Coventry road Birmingham please

may need a bit more information sheba...such as do you have a name for the shop or names of people who may have ran it and when

lyn

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. The only information I have is the young man is Albert Smith and the older person maybe George Smith. We know that George had a shop but not sure where or when. Sorry to be so vague, I know it's a longshot...

1925 eroll has a George Smith listed at 552 Coventry Road. There is also a Clara Smith.
in 1921 Kelly's (nearest year I can find) 552 is listed as Wrensons Grocers.

On the other hand 1936 Kelly's has Geo(rge) Edwin Smith listed as a grocer at 571 Moseley Road. I think this might be the same person as he seems to be with Clara.
Thank you. I have George's middle name as George Henry born 1900. As yet I haven't a confirmed name for his wife. Looking at the photograph of the shop I think it is probably from late 30s/40s.
Albert Smith was born. 1902.

There doesn't appear to be any George or Albert Smith on the 1939 register with an occupation listed as grocer, greengrocer or shopkeeper.

There is a birth reg. for a George Henry Smith mmn Beech, Mar qtr 1900 Aston. There is also one for an Albert Edward Smith mmn Beech, Sep qtr 1902 Aston. They are the sons of a Frederick & Louisa and have a brother Joseph. In 1911 Frederick is widowed with his 3 sons.

It is possible that George married a Rose Horton but could be someone else. They are listed at 7 back 16 Cattell Road in 1939 which is near Coventry Road but his occupation seems to be viewer (?).

But lots of uncertainty.

All of the above information ties in with my tree information. Thank you, I know for certain that the young man is Albert E Smith. A family member gave the photo to me but doesn't have any information to go with it.
We have evidence from a will that George was residing at 283 Coventry road in 1950.

There is a Henry George @ 337 Heath street who is a shopkeeper on the 1921 trade directory whose occupation is stated as shopkeeper. Would it be common for the Christian names to be reversed on documents.

Re-reading some notes I have, it appears Albert Edwin's occupation is documented on a marriage certificate as Shopkeeper in 1931.

There are a number of trees on Ancestry that appear to suggest that the Albert Smith, son of Frederick and Louisa married a Violet Bennett in 1923. And in 1939 he appears to be listed as a labourer so possibly this is not him.

Who did he marry in 1931?

For some strange reason Albert Edwin ( Edward) has been registered on his sister's marriage certificate as her father. Occupation Shopkeeper. (Albert is the brother of the bride not father)

Then it definitely seems that the they were not the sons of Frederick and Louisa whom I mentioned because they don't appear to have had a sister.

I assume that Albert was not named after his father then.

Most unusual to not give a son his father's name. I have come across a few oddities with this particular Smith family.

Then it definitely seems that the they were not the sons of Frederick and Louisa whom I mentioned because they don't appear to have had a sister.

I assume that Albert was not named after his father then.
George and Albert are the sons of Frederick and Louisa. They also had a son named Joseph and two daughters.

Most unusual to not give a son his father's name. I have come across a few oddities with this particular Smith family.
always useful to find out if there was a son born who was given his dads name but died very young..if mom then had another son they may not want to name him after his dad again so name him after moms dad or even a grandad

lyn

George and Albert are the sons of Frederick and Louisa. They also had a son named Joseph and two daughters.

Ok, I see the daughters now. As they weren't with their father in 1911 I didn't look but see Matilda is with an aunt.

A Joseph is with George and Rose at 1 back of 283 on the 1960 eroll. He could, of course, be their son not George's brother.
1689946878792.png

Last edited:
always useful to find out if there was a son born who was given his dads name but died very young..if mom then had another son they may not want to name him after his dad again so name him after moms dad or even a grandad

lyn

There doesn't appear to be a son that died young registered.

It does gives you a but of a worry sometimes when you can't find children named after their parents, especially as you go further back. My gg grandfather (Richard) didn't name a son after himself until his 15th child, though it was only his 6th son but it would have made me think if they'd stopped at fourteen children with no Richard.

lyn
Thank you Lynn.

It is possible that George married a Rose Horton but could be someone else. They are listed at 7 back 16 Cattell Road in 1939 which is near Coventry Road but his occupation seems to be viewer (?).
Not terribly important but ....According to 1939 eroll they were at this address on Cattell Road
1689954702899.png

1925 eroll has a George Smith listed at 552 Coventry Road. There is also a Clara Smith.
in 1921 Kelly's (nearest year I can find) 552 is listed as Wrensons Grocers.
Thank you again.Maybe at the time the photograph was taken Albert Worked at Wrensons. Do you know of any photographs of the owners?

lyn
I did find a Frederick Smith born and died in Aston in 1899 on ancestry, but couldn't find a record on BMD showing the mmn.

I couldn't see any other Smith/Beech children registered apart from the 5 known.

Assuming there were no children before they married (reg. Sep 1899) then there wouldn't have been time before the birth of George Henry (reg. Mar 1900).

Back