• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Camden equipment, key hill

mrose1701

master brummie
Hi,

Can anyone give me some clues about the existence of this factory? My elderly neighbour believes it was situated in the Key Hill area of the Jewellery Quarter (possibly in or around Hylton Street) and traded in the 1940s and early 1950s. He believes that the factory owner was a certain Harold Oates during the mention period. My neighbour was helped during his childhood by Mr Oates and is trying to discover some information about his factory and what happened to him.

Here's hoping somebody out there can throw some light on this business !

Hello mrose1701,

There is a Camden Street a few streets away from Key Hill itself but still well within the Jewellery Quarter,

There are loads of factories on Camden Street so its going to be a case of looking (Kellys Directories?) and
checking with your neighbour what this "Factory/Company made or did as a business" if he can recall.

Camden Street is B1 3BZ if you get it on AA Routefinder, should give you a decent map of area.
Company,s at random,,,ENV Ltd, Sheet Metal then BOXPADS Ltd pakaging /wrapping machinery then
AAJ Engineering Ltd,,manufacturing /repairs? then H & K Industrial pipes/fittings + loads more to jog him.
Good luck John

In Kelly's 1949, Camdon Equipment Ltd., Cycle Saddle Mfrs., Lion Works, Key Hill Drive.

Colin

Well it certainly existed in 1950 as Camden Equipment Ltd., Lion Works, Key Hill Drive, Key Hill, Birmingham 18 according to Kellys.

The London Gazette of 1st December 1972 and again on 6th March 1973 indicates that the Company has been removed from the Companies House Register - this generally implies that it hasn't traded for several years - but there are no other entries. Being more than 20 years ago, Companies House will have now destroyed any records to do with this Company.

Snap Colin!

Maurice

Yep,,agree Colin & Sospiri.

Its t,other side of Hylton Street/Vyse Street,,, remember it now,,,near my ol Nans house back of Key Hill Drive,
Tried to get Camden linked with Hylton as Mrose put,,, erm! another nip o Brandy methinks,,,lol

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the info chaps - my neighbour said they used to make bike saddles so think you have nailed it. Not sure if Key Hill Drive still exists. Will have to have a look on Google Maps. Is this the same location as the cul de sac Key Hill ? Know Key Hill after visiting recently to enter Key Hill Cemetery through the new entrance. (Found wife's mother in law was interred in the catacombs in Key Hill Cemetery.)

Have just looked on Google maps and found it's still there - an offshoot from Key Hill - must have been asleep last time I went down there - don't remember it !!

Will have to start another thread and see if I can find out what happened to Harold Oates - my neighbour would like to know what happened to him and where he is buried. He was apparently living on the Birmingham or Walsall Road, Gt Barr in the late 40s and early 50s.

Thanks again chaps - what a great site this is for unearthing historical facts and social history information !!

My dad worked at the Camden Equipment Co in the 1950s and used to take me with him to light and clean the boilers. I used to look at all the saddles and bits that were made. It was situated at the top of Key Hill up Camden Street. The cemetery was on the right and the building formed a T at the top. Mum and he sometimes assembled some of the equipment at home. I remember that there was a fire which may have been arson. The nam e Harry Oates does ring a bell.

Back