• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cambridge Street area HELP Required

sylyal

proper brummie kid
I have been trying to save a map of the Ladywood Area showing Cambridge Street, I have tried to save one off Auto-route and also off Google maps, without success. I am writing a brief autobiography of my Grandfather in Microsoft Word and would like to include a map of the area where he was born and went to school, Also his father was police sergeant in Ladywood so would like to include the old police station there too. I copied and pasted one into the document but when I reopened word it had disappeared.
Could anyone tell me where I can get one from or how to do it please. If anyone has a map from around 1900 that would be even better
Many Thanks for this wonderful site
Sylvia

The only way I know is to use the "Print Screen" button on the keyboard and then paste the picture into "Paint" and then crop out what isnt required..

Hi all
Thanks for the help, Dek I dont have windows 7 but thanks Lindyloo will try that way see if it works

Hi Sylyal

I don't know if this would be of any use to it, you should be able to blow it up quite a bit bigger if required.

Phil

]
Ladywood.jpg

Thank you so much Phil, this is just what I was after, as it shows the Crescent and the police station. Many Many Thanks Sylvia

The only way I know is to use the "Print Screen" button on the keyboard and then paste the picture into "Paint" and then crop out what isnt required..

No need to Crop. Press F11 and it will go Full Screen. Then Print Screen, and F11 again to return the screen to normal.

After you have the Map in the desired format use a PDF writer. I use Doro - a free download. This will create the page as a PDF file which anyone can download and view.

Cheers both.

Perhaps I should have added that, as the Thread starter indicated that they intended to 'compose' the item in Word, and as there are so many versions of Word, the earlier one's not being compatible with later versions, (or should that be vice-versa:p) then once produced, whether using columns, or text aside photo's, etc, 'Printing' it to a PDF Writer 'preserves' the format of whichever Word version it was produced in but makes it available as an Adobe file.

When uploading documents to Ancestry, particularly those from Family Search, I tend to use the method outlined as, should anyone wish to view the detail, then as a downloaded PDF file they can enlarge it, as opposed to the Ancestry facility of 'just making it bigger'. If that makes sense.:(

Ken.

Back