• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Calthorpe Motors + Bordesley Green

Gill Wiseman

proper brummie kid
Has anyone any information on Calthorpe Motors?
My Gt. Grandfather worked there according to family stories. I understand the factory was in Bordesley Green.
From the limited information I have been able to find cars were made from 1904 and production finished in 1926.
Thanks
Gill

Hello. Cant help at all with the history of the Calthorpe, but remember my father having a Calthorpe 350 cc. motorbike around 1950.

Calthorpe Motors was started by G.W.Hands in 1904. He was a bicycle maker, as were many engineering entrepreneurs in Brum at that time. Hands made a small 10hp shaft drive [when many were persisting with chain drive] and evolved the design into the 12/14hp car. In modern terms, these were probably 1500cc sized but Mr Hands also built larger units up to 3litres. Hands bought in engines and certainly produced a larger 'racer' at some point before the Great War. I think it was built to the four inch rules (a formula related to the bore of the engine) and was called something like The Silver Dart (that is not it... can't remember the correct name). This racer [13.9hp] was used on the road latterly, and in fact went through family ownership of two quite seperate groups, who are now great friends today. Coincidences happen!
Calthorpe let GW Hands go off to form another company, but continued. Hands returned later, post-war and brought his own successful design to Calthorpe in the twenties.
A subsidiary of Calthorpe was Mulliner the coachbuilder. Mulliners often used the S-shaped pram-irons on the folding hoods [roof] of its sporting bodies.
When sold out in 1927, the site became the Colmore Depot of Morris Cars.

I am hunting for any news or information about coachbuilders from the 1920's in that area. Particularly, I want to find out about Thomas Hughes & Son of Sparkhill, and a Bonze/Brass foundry called Fox Merrill & Cutler.

My Great Uncle was George Hands who started the Calthorpe Motor Company. I met him and his wife once back in the late 50's but I remember my Mother telling me about the many holidays she had in Torquay as George Hands owned the best hotel there, The Palace, which is still running. The Hands' lived down the road from the hotel and every morning the Rolls would come to pick her up so she could spend the day at the hotel using all its facilities! There is a plaque on the wall of the hotel confirming his involvement
CIMG3862.JPG

This is a Calthorpe car and the photo was taken around 1914 it looks a fine sturdy machine.

Attachments

• Calthorpe Car c1914 .jpg
    Calthorpe Car c1914 .jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 7
Back