• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Callender's Cables, Birmingham

Brock

master brummie
Hello,
I have discovered that my grandfather used to work at a place called Callender's Cables in Birmingham & I wondered if anyone could tell me where it used to be please? He lived in Small Heath so I assume that it must have been fairly close for him to walk or bus it to.
If anyone knows of any old adverts or posters for the company I would love to know where I should seek them out please.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

You haven't suggested a date but it may have been that he worked for them when they were laying cables in Birmingham rather than at a specific place.

In the 1940 Kelly's it lists Callender's cables at the following places:
Daimler House, Paradise Street (I think these were offices)
Nile Street and Sheepcote Street (engineers' contract office)
Waverley Road (garage and main stores)

Janice

Last edited:
That's great ~ thank you so much for your help. It was very likely the Waverley Road depot where he worked I should imagine. I had tried to look it up on the internet but could only find London based places of work.

BICC had a Depot just the other side of Small Heath Park. Certainly it was there in the 1960s as I used to work for Midlands Electricity Board out of Second Avenue, Bordesley Green and we used to see those who worked for BI in and around the area.

BICC had a Depot just the other side of Small Heath Park. Certainly it was there in the 1960s as I used to work for Midlands Electricity Board out of Second Avenue, Bordesley Green and we used to see those who worked for BI in and around the area.

Oh, that's very interesting. He used to live in Arthur Street in Small Heath & I know that he didn't travel too far for work with there being so many available jobs all around in those days so that could be the very place then.

00000waverley%20road%20by%20the%20dole%20office.jpgAlthough you can't see it Callenders was directly behind the bus corner of Oldknow Road and Waverley Road the dole office was last right and we used to get to the aquadocks through a passage there

If you are talking about the 50s/60s, I may know someone who knew a lot of people who worked for BICC. If you could get some info on what job he actually did may help.

Back