• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

calculating how much a sum of money in the past is worth today

Helen G

Almost a Brummie
I used to have a link to a site that could calculate how much a sum of money in the past was worth in today's world. For example, the cheque my Great Grandfather was given on his retirement in 1945 for £25 would be worth over £2,000 in today's money.

However, I can't find the link and Google has been no help.

Has anyone got a link to such a site, or can anyone tell me how much £92 in 1989 is worth in 2012?

Thanks
H

Not a site as such, but at the Blists Hill Victorian town in Telford, they have a bank where you can change your money and they do a great spiel about how the money came about and also its worth at different times through history. Really interesting and the cashiers were brilliant with the youngsters - even my teenager was interested!!
I would ting there would be similar at the Black Country Museum although can't recall it.
Sue

In a book I'm reading, one gallon of good Bordeaux wine in 1350 cost about one old penny. Good health!

But seriously, when we got married in 1971, our average weekly food and grocery bill was about £6, and our monthly mortgage payment was £33. Council Tax (rates) was about £4 a month, and gas & electricity about £10 a month average over the year. I was paid just about £1000 a year (just under £20 a week) when we got married, and the light of my life about £13 a week. Petrol was 5/0 (£0.25) a gallon and a pint of bitter about 1/9 (£0.09). But we did all right, even though there was usually more month left at the end of the money, rather than the other way around.

G

Big Gee, when i started my training, I earned the princely sum of £81 a month - that was after my nurses home rent had been taken.
At that time I thought it was a fortune, until I found out that my shop worker friend was getting £25 a month more than I was - and things haven't changed much lol.
Nowadays when things go up in price, its by ten pence or more, not a penny or two.
Sue

Wow you guys were rich, when I left school in 1969 after staying on at school a year I worked a GKN Digbeth/Detetend and earned a massive £5.00 a week doing one day a week at college. My kids think it is quite amusing. I got married in1970 and I remember a sack of potatoes (56lbs in those days) was around 50p. Hard days, still waiting for things to get better - no chance, didn't realise at the time that they were they good times, suppose it was because we were younger and healthier and had more energy and umph to cope!!!
Chris

Back