• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cafe under Lewis's

H hauzar

Brummie babby
Hi - can anyone help solve a question that has been puzzling my elderly dad for weeks. What was the name of the cafe that was based in the Bull Street / Corporation Street subway - close to the basement entrance into Lewis's. All ideas and suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

If there was I can't recall visiting it. There was a large food hall. There is a thread and quite a few references to the store on the Forum.

Hi - can anyone help solve a question that has been puzzling my elderly dad for weeks. What was the name of the cafe that was based in the Bull Street / Corporation Street subway - close to the basement entrance into Lewis's. All ideas and suggestions would be greatly welcomed.
There is mention of a Snack Bar in the Corporation Street subway in the Lewis's thread click link below ... :)

There is a thread 'Subways' and a pic of the subway but they have cleared out all retail outlets by the time the pic was taken .... :rolleyes:

There is a thread 'Subways' and a pic (post#25) of the subway but they have removed all retail outlets by the time the pic was taken .... :rolleyes:

If it was today I would have said it was a "greggs" - that sort of place. I rememebr going there quite often as a student.

Just before you emerged from the subway by Lewis's there was a sort of circular section (a bit like a traffic island - several subway paths met). From memory there were a couple of shops at least. One was the cafe and I vaguely think one sold records (although in my mind perhaps it sold clothes and played music? ?)
So it was underground so to speak.

There is a thread 'Subways' and a pic of the subway but they have cleared out all retail outlets by the time the pic was taken .... :rolleyes:

Thank you so much - the photos of the old subways are great

I tried looking Wimbush up in old phone books but didn't see an address I thought right. Will try earlier books later.
Barrows was above ground as far as I recall and in a slightly different place.

I tried looking Wimbush up in old phone books but didn't see an address I thought right. Will try earlier books later.
Barrows was above ground as far as I recall and in a slightly different place.

Thank you so much for checking the old phone books ❤️ great idea - really appreciated

There was a Lewis's record shop in the subway, I knew the manager there who eventually became the CEO of Betty Barclay and then a well known maker of high class lingerie whose name escapes me!

Frank Sinatra visited the Lewis's record shop to promote an album although I am not sure of the date or whether the record shop was in the subway at the time. The Lewis's food hall was in the basement of the main store.

Barrows was above ground and on a packet of tea I have thes address is shown as Bull Street & Corporation Street. No surprise, it was on the corner!

There was a Lewis's record shop in the subway, I knew the manager there who eventually became the CEO of Betty Barclay and then a well known maker of high class lingerie whose name escapes me!

Frank Sinatra visited the Lewis's record shop to promote an album although I am not sure of the date or whether the record shop was in the subway at the time. The Lewis's food hall was in the basement of the main store.

Barrows was above ground and on a packet of tea I have thes address is shown as Bull Street & Corporation Street. No surprise, it was on the corner!
What fantastic memories - thank you!

The soda fountain

It was the soda fountain it was snacks and knicker. Bicker glories the main restraints were on 5th floor the oak and the Tudor room the soft ice cream was private owned by 2 bros

I don't think the place referred to in this thread was inside the Lewis store. When you went down the subway towards Lewis's you came to a space where several subway paths joined. Between each pathway was a shop - and one was a cafe, I think another might have sold records.

I don't think the place referred to in this thread was inside the Lewis store. When you went down the subway towards Lewis's you came to a space where several subway paths joined. Between each pathway was a shop - and one was a cafe, I think another might have sold records.
hi Janice before the subway was built the entrance to lewiss was street level with bull street you went in went down half the stairs then down a second half stair into the basement soda fountain on left side

The place I am thinking of was very small - there was a counter and a few 2/3 seater tables with stools along the window and that was all. It was more of a takeaway sandwich bar. If you carried on up out of the subway then you still had to walk a bit before reaching Lewis's which is why I was convinced it was not inside the shop.

Maps, of course, don't show the subways but on this 1970s map it would have been below street level about where the red marker is.
1615043597272.png

The place I am thinking of was very small - there was a counter and a few 2/3 seater tables with stools along the window and that was all. It was more of a takeaway sandwich bar. If you carried on up out of the subway then you still had to walk a bit before reaching Lewis's which is why I was convinced it was not inside the shop.
no as I said this was definately inside lewiss kids loved it

Back