• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cadbury's - drama at the theatre

Laura Hunt

I have found info re the Bournville Musical Theatre company, but none about theatre. Am I right in thinking that there was an am dram group who put on Shakespearean drama? I am particularly interested in the 1940s.

Hi Colin - yes - thanks.

They make no reference to anything but musical theatre. There are family stories about Shakespearean drama being put on - I was hoping to get info about this. I know that someone called Madge Newnham inspired a life long love of Shakespeare in my Aunt - and my understanding was that she directed (maybe) Shakespeare's plays in Bournville. I thought that if this were true, there might be programmes etc on archive, but I would like to confirm that such plays were, in fact, put on in Bournville at that time (late 1930s, 40's) before I get lost down the wromg rabbit hole! Although she (Madge) was known at the RSC (my aunt was taken on a visit back stage and to Wardrobe) I doubt that she would have lived in Bournville if she was working in Stratford.

She sounds like an interesting woman.

L

Welcome to the Forum Laura,
I assume you have seen their website
https://www.bmtcweb.co.uk/index.html

Colin

Back