• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

C M Powell Bros. Brassfounders

softieh

Hello everyone

My ancestors were Powells who owned a brassfounding business in Birmingham, and I would love to find out more about this. According to a letterhead I have seen the business was founded in 1773/1774. So far I have traced back to a William Powell who was brassfounder at 37 Bromsgrove Street in the 1830s, but as he was born in 1773 it must be a previous generation who founded the business.

The business existed up until the 1970s at least, and at this point was known as 'Charles Marshall Powell Bros.' and were based at 37 Aston Rd. The CM stands for 'Charles Marshall Powell'. I know there was a 200 year anniversary dinner about 1973/4, and there was a speech read out at this dinner detailing the history of the business. Copies of this speech were distributed to family members, but these seem to have disappeared over the years, which is frustrating to say the least!

I wonder if anyone has any memories of this company? I am desperately trying to learn more about it and thought this would be a sensible place to post a message. I would be thrilled with anything anyone can help with.

Many thanks,
Sophie

Hi Sophie,
My father and my brother worked there. My dad for more than 20 years until 1969 - 70. He left without a penny choosing to leave rather than be demoted on returning after looking after my sick mother. He was 63 when he left and he and my mother both died in 1991 in Port Elizabeth, South Africa aged 85 and 84 respectively. My brother is now 73 and lives in P.E. I will ask him what memories he has of the company.

i dont know if this is of any help but ive looked in the historical directories and in directory of bham 1835

william powell brassfounder 38 & 39 summer lane

and in history, topography & directory of warwickshirre 1830

thos powell & son brassfounders 141 suffolk street

wm powell brassfounder 14 bath row

Hi Shera

Many thanks for your message. I know that my William Powell (born 773) was a brassfounder at 37 Bromsgrove Street on the 1841 census,and he appears in an 1830 directory at this address too. Interesting you should pick out that Thomas Powell at Suffolk Street, as he is who I feel may prove to be the link. Ive found this Thomas in directories goin back to 1781, based at Suffolk Street and previously at 'Carey's Court, Moor Street'. (Can't seem to work out where this was as google maps doesn't return anything, Id be interested to know if you have any idea. ) Thomas Powell seems to have started by manufacturing locks and then expanded into making other brass items.I wonder if he holds the key.... (No pun intended!)

Sophie

i presume careys court was just a courtyard off moor street.

i notice that in 1841 william powell is still living in bromsgrove st and with wife? elizabeth and daughter in law rachel. i see that they were NOT born in county.

it may be a long shot but there is a william powell b. abt 1773 in bullingham herefordshire who married an elizabeth williams on 8.5.1798 in bullingham. this is on igi records. any good?

the marr of william henry powell to rachel marshall was on 11.6.1832 at st. phillips bham

Sophie
Carey's court is shown in the 1855 and 1858 directories as being off Moor St between nos 113 and 117, approximately at the position of the roman catholic chapel in the 1890 OS map at https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10098&ox=2415&oy=1204&zm=1&czm=1&x=313&y=404 . This is on the left of Moor St, just below Albert Street. Carey's Court disappears from the directories after about 1858, shortly before the appearence of the chapel, which is there in 1862.

Hi all

Shera- you have certainly found the right people on the census. That marriage record for a William Powell in Bullingham may be worth a closer look for me, so thanks very much for that. Don't you just wish people had to record their exact birthplace on the 1841 census?!! Life would be so much easier! I did have the marriage of Willam H Powell to Rachel Marshall and am well impressed you found all this info so quickly! Rachel's surname is where the 'M' in CM Powell Bros came from- it has been passed right down through the generations.

Mike- thats great info about Carey's Court, thank you! Ive been trying to plot the locations of Bromsgrove Street, Careys Court and Suffolk Street on a map to work out how close they are to eachother, in the hope that there is a strong possibility of a connection between my William Powell at Bromsgrove Street to Thomas Powell at the others. My instinct is that Thomas Powell was a father/uncle of William's and it was his generation who founded the business. Certainly in various trade directories there is both a William Powell and a Thomas Powell at Carey's Court 1797-1801...

Many thanks again,
Sophie

Back