• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bus Terminus Memories

sistersue61

master brummie
Dad wants to know if anyone else can recall waiting at the bus terminus by the clock, for the drivers to clock off and then getting them to stamp your hand with the key and leave a stamp on your hand?
Dad remembers doing it at the Stechford terminus.
Sue

Dad wants to know if anyone else can recall waiting at the bus terminus by the clock, for the drivers to clock off and then getting them to stamp your hand with the key and leave a stamp on your hand?
Sue

Was there a reason for doing that Sue?

The clocks were called Bundy Clocks

Sue

Thanks horsencart, I remember the Masshouse bfore it was demolished.
I don'tthink there was a reason for getting stamped, dad was only a youngster and they used to see who could get the most stamps and compare the numbers they had, as far as I know. He was saying he'd not spoken to anyone else who had done it - maybe it was a Stechford thing!!
Sue

There are one or two Bundy clock still about two are in West Brom, one of them is in the bus station in West Brom one in Walsall, it is at the arboretum, there is one at the Seven Valley Railway ex Birmingham there used to be one at the Scott Arms that has now gone, the plan/hope is to get a photo of the other one in Spon Lane, Wythall has one of course

This one to be found in Aston Manor Transport Museum

12thMarch2006AstonManorTransportMuseum268.jpg

Sue
I used to do the same thing at the Lodge Road 96 bus terminus at the bottom of Wellington Street, Winson Green, along with my friends both boys and girls also used to make a type of daisy chain out of the used tickets that we got out of the used ticket box. The ink on the key would only mark a couple of hands so it was a bit of a scramble to get your hand marked. Happy days. Clive

Clive you will make dads day when I see him tomorrow, he thought he was imagining it:unconscious:. He said about the ticket chains too, glad someone else recalls it.
Sue

The one I remember most, was at the side of the Oak Cinema in Selly Oak, we had to wait for the driver to put the key thing in before we left, and all the kids from the minors sing why are we waiting, on a Saturday morning.
paul

I remember the one on Witton Island for the 39 Bus and the one on the 11 bus route in Handsworth. Jean.

I used to collect stamps at the Lea Village terminus top of Kitts Green Road. It was something to amuse us before the days of TV and computer games

We used to get our hands stamped on the number 8 route on the "Bridge" Monument Rd over the canal.
I also used to jump up between the clock and the wall to see if there were any trains or barges coming.
Until one day I jumped up and put my hand on the clock after someone had coughed up/spat phlegm on it!!! That stopped me climbing on the clock!

I remember spending a saturday morning at the 60 terminus, Cranes Park, pestering the drivers to stamp the back of my hand.

A school pal suggested we do it, though frankly i couldn't see the point in it and went back to train spotting the following week..

I remember the clock in Witton as I used to travel on the number 11 bus to school through there.

I think there was also a clock at the Wellington Road stop (junction with Church Lane), not sure the actual clock is still there though I suspect not.

I think there were a few clocks on the number 11 route.

Back