• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Burlington street

• Thread starter Thread starter angie
  • Start date Start date
that looks like older girls...was it the school over the road that took kids up to 14?*
*(that my mom attended), up to 1944.
I started at Burlington St. in '64, and I think the school for older kids had closed then, so when did it close?

*I'm fairly sure it became a health centre or something..I .remember when I had a health check up there (at 4 or 5) where they told me I had flat feet...all it needed was some high heels when I got older. ;D

hi i was at burlington street 1944 to 1949 i remember school opposite the care taker mr Benbow lovely person use to feed all hungy children.¬

who had little saved food from the day meals . remember pupils
Carol black staff. EVOYN Watkins. Miakel Tozer. Brian Malkin .

Brian Malkin had a very old projector he was a mate of Kenny Cox you would be about the same age as Ken he lives by me at Aldridge we all went to Burlington street I 1953 Ken left 1954 went to Upper Thomas street Carol goes to the reunion most years, have you looked to see if you are any of the school photographs visit the link below and click on schools

here's my school photos from Burlington St...
as I said in my [old] post above, I must have started there in about 1964, as you had to be 5 then [I think], not 4 like now.

ImagerHandler.jpg

the year is showing
I was this one on the end
ImagerHandler-1.jpg

this one also shows the year..I am in the middle in a checked dress
bss.jpg

it would be great if any of my fellow classmates are on this forum...I can name some of the faces, and I'll try later [just finished cooking dinner and am knackered]

this one has kids from my class [who I can name], but I cannot see myself on it - I must have been off ill or something
I guess I found this on the internet
[Friends Reunited has some photos on the Burlington St group site there]
bst3.jpg

Just found there's another thread on this school, which I had posted in some detail on in the past
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49

Wendy on your first pic I recognise Pauline Russell 2nd from right on back row, and I think 3rd from right may be Beryl Stevens(son).

Maz on your last pic my son Michael is on the back row, centre, in striped tee shirt.

Sylvia, all I can think of is that that was probably the year above me [or the 6 monthly intake above me], but one or two, probably 'Jackie' [front row, dark haired - sitting up straight], and 'Kitty' were held back and put in the younger group, as I remember them in my class, and maybe a couple of others, but not the rest...
I think the girl to the left of your son might be 'Miriam' who posts on Friends Reunited, and she was in the year, or class, above me.

Wendy, if the pictures were a bit clearer l know l would be able to name some of the girls....the picture was taken about 2 years ahead of me still l do recognise Beryl Stevens and lrise Westwood my brothers heartthrob.....Brenda

Thanks for the reply I will try and scan them so they come out larger.

Brenda, which one is Iris Westwood? I can't make her out, I think one of the girls is Peggy Martin. Harvey always used to ask me if I knew what happened to Peggy, and he also told me he was "sweet" on Iris. I'm pretty sure the girl second right middle row is Doreen Wallin.

Maz on the photo Michael is on I have found the original which I have dated as July 1965 - teacher Miss/Mrs. Stock or Mrs. Jackson do you know which? The name Miriam rings a bell but I don't recognise her, or remember her second name. Michael was born January 1959, was that your birth year?

Patty look at the date on posties post it was before the change over i think the photo was lost. Dek

Sylvia , lris Westwood was the first girl on the left back row 1st picture....and on the second picture lris is sitting down 6th from the left, if you remember lris had beautful blond curly hair, lris and Harvey were an item untill just after he joined the navy.....still Harvey was sweet on anything in skirts at the time....and if he was here to-day he would agree with what i say....Brenda

Brenda, I've had another look at the photos and recognise Iris now you have pointed her out. I think Thelma Wright is first on right on the back row in the first photo, what do you think? Where have all the years gone, they were all young girls 13/14 years old, now must be mid-late 70s.

Looking back at the photos posted by Maz and Wendy, got me thinking about the senior girls school, I have been trying to remember the teachers during my time 1949/1950 before I went to Aston Commercial, when I first moved up the headteacher was Miss Astle, who left shortly afterwards and was replaced by Miss Marsh, her byword was ENTHUSIASM which she used very often in the school assemblies. I remember being in Miss Whitcombe's class, there was also Miss Guy, Miss Prescott, and Miss Hall who was the science mistress, I think she married but can't remember her name. There must have been other teachers - why can't I remember. Does anyone else recall the names?

Sylvia, Miss Hudson was the art teacher who was real nice.....the head mistress was Miss Azlin later to be replaced by Miss Marsh, Miss Azlin was so nice always had a soft approach to everything, could'nt say that about Miss Marsh but l liked her all the same...l know she stopped everyone bringing toast etc to have with our morning milk....said young ladies did'nt need mid morning stacks if they ate breakfast,l never took any toast but so many girls had toast wrapped in newspaper remember....Brenda

Thanks for reminding me about Miss Hudson, she was really nice. I don't remember Miss Marsh stopping the snacks, but then like you I never took anything to school to eat. I do remember in the juniors one of the teachers, maybe the headmistress Miss Martin wouldn't let us eat oranges
in school as she couldn't stand the smell. Oranges were such a rare treat then as they were almost impossible to get during and for sometime after the war.

Maz on the photo Michael is on I have found the original which I have dated as July 1965 - teacher Miss/Mrs. Stock or Mrs. Jackson do you know which? The name Miriam rings a bell but I don't recognise her, or remember her second name. Michael was born January 1959, was that your birth year?
yes, it was my birth year, but I was born in June, and you helpfully mentioned [maybe on another thread], that I could have been in the later class because of that [which makes sense, for back them]
I do have Miriam's 2nd name..
hang on
[you have to be signed in to see this]
I think it's Miriam Upson
https://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/S...=2187&isstudents=1&type=SP&member_key=2412920

Thanks for giving Miriam's surname, I recall a few years ago being in touch with her through Friends Reunited but can't remember the details now. There were some Upson or Uptons of my generation who lived in Upper Webster Street a few houses below the junction with Parliament Street.

Hi all,

Was just browsing google maps and noticed 'Calvary Community Centre' @ 6 Burlington Street. This must be one of the few buildings left in this area prior to the 60s does anybody know what this building was originally. Looks like it was built late 1800s.

I lived just around the corner in Parliament Street and went to Burlington street School but don't remember this building.

Thanks, John

Its marked as "school " on maps and in Kellys up to 1971, but after is not listed (nor any other building in hte street)

here's my school photos from Burlington St...

this one has kids from my class [who I can name], but I cannot see myself on it - I must have been off ill or something

bst3.jpg

maz-beth

Can you name the girl third from right in the front row? she looks very much like my daughter.

Burlington Street school consisted of the Infant and Junior school. plus the secondary modern for girls who had the annex across the road from the main school, the Girls school closed 1964/65 and the Infant and Juniors took over their part in the main block, the annex was used for other purposes after that date, and is still being used today as a Asian Community Centre, the main body of the school was knocked down in the early to mid 1980's....the annex still looks like it did when it was first built, I think they have added to it, but again not to sure, not been in there since the late 1960's....I would love to knock on the door and ask if I can take some photo's of the place...the old play ground mainly where we used to sneak over the wall to play football, until we got chased off by the caretaker....(Mr Benbow)......brummy lad when did you live in Parliament St ?, I lived in the next street up Clarendon Street until 1969......

Was born in 1949 and moved to Washwood Heath in 1957 and although I was only 8 when I left I have fond memories. I remember Mr. Benbow too.

My uncle owned Keights bicycle shop at 143 Park Lane, also had an auntie that owned Burtons newsagents at 145 Park Lane

We used to get up onto the wall of the school at the back of No 7 Parliament Street and hang onto the netting until we reached the end of the wall by the gates in Burlington Street, then we would jump down into the playground to play football.

Thank you all for prompt response. John

John your cousin? Bernice Burton was in my class at Burlington Street School. I also remember buying puncture repair kits from Keights although I didn't recall the name until you posted.

I was a paper boy at Burtons from 1966 to 1968, and I used Keights shop quite often, buying bits and bobs for my bike, plus electric light bulbs, I can remember them testing each bulb with their lightbulb socket on the counter....

we used to climb the wall of the senior girls school play ground to play football or cricket, all ages would play, the rule was, if you can climb over the wall you can play, if we ever kicked the ball over the netting along the wall, we would somehow hold on the net while our feet was on the wall and force it open enough for one of us to climb under and fetch the ball back, apart from climbing on the roof's and walking along the guttering to retrieve any lost tennis balls etc, we would also race along the length of the school wall, from the house on the corner of both Burlington St and Parliament St, along to the first house past the school, that was fun.....I am lucky enough to have to the old fire bell from Burlington St in my study at home, the last caretaker was a friend of my ex-brother in law, who passed it on to me just before the school was knocked down....I hated school but loved being a child in those days......

Keights bicycle shop was opened by my grandfather and was inherited by my uncle Albert Keight. I was talking to my mum the other night (she will be 92 this year and also went to Burlington Street school) she said the shop never made any money, my uncle had a full-time job at Cincinatti and left the shop to be run by my great aunt Gladys, mum said that aunt Gladys would take pity on the children coming into the shop and feed them as well as not charging for bits and pieces for the bicycles. A true brummy spirit, she was a lovely lady, never married but was engaged, her fiance was killed in WW1.

hi folks..took a walk down burlington st the other week for the first time since i left school and was delighted to see that that the annexe part of it was still standing...i thought it had been demolished..i actually attended lozells girls school but we used the annexe for cookery..needlework and pottery...i couldnt resist a look round the back and as i turned the corner into my old playground all the memories came flooding back...few pics here..

BURLINGTONSTSCHOOL016_zps52d85bb5.jpg

BURLINGTONSTSCHOOL015_zpsb03dc027.jpg

Back