• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brummie England Players

FNQBRUMMIE

master brummie
Just a question- have we had two Brummie born players play for England at the same time? We have now with Jude and Jack.
And now do we get a Brummie England manager? Well Lee Carsley is temporary boss- it could happen. I used
to play against Lee's dad Frank who played for Walsall for a bit and went to Sheldon Heath comp. Lee went to
Cockshut Hill. I would love him to get that job and maybe win us something after years of near misses.

Just a question- have we had two Brummie born players play for England at the same time? We have now with Jude and Jack.
And now do we get a Brummie England manager? Well Lee Carsley is temporary boss- it could happen. I used
to play against Lee's dad Frank who played for Walsall for a bit and went to Sheldon Heath comp. Lee went to
Cockshut Hill. I would love him to get that job and maybe win us something after years of near misses.
There have been a few:

George Tait (born Aston Manor - club - Birmingham Excelsior) & Alfred Harvey (born Aston - club - Wednesbury Strollers) 1881 vs Wales.
Albert Allen (b - Aston c - Aston Villa) & Dennis Hodgetts (b - Birmingham c - Aston Villa) 1888 vs Ireland.
Dennis Hodgetts (b - Birmingham c - Aston Villa) & Jack Devey (b - Newtown - c - Aston Villa) 1892 vs Ireland & 1894 vs Ireland.
Howard Spencer (b - Edgbaston c - Aston Villa & Alex Leake b - Aston c - Aston Villa) 1905 vs Wales & 1905 vs Scotland.
Syd Owen (b Aston - c - Luton) & Gil Merrick (b Sparkhill - c - Birmingham City) 1954 vs Yugoslavia & 1954 vs Hungary & 1954 vs Belgium.
Tony Daley (b - Lozells c - Aston Villa) & Alan Smith b - Hollywood c - Arsenal) 1991 vs Poland & 1992 vs Hungary & Denmark.
Darius Vassell (b - Birmingham c - Aston Villa) & Michael Ricketts (b - Birmingham c - Bolton) 2002 vs The Netherlands.
Joleon Lescott (b - B'ham c - Everton) & Micah Richards b - B'ham c - Manchester City 2007 vs Estonia, Russia, Austria & Croatia & 2010 vs France.
Daniel Sturridge (b - Birmingham c - Chelsea) & Micah Richards (b - Birmingham c - Manchester City) 2012 vs The Netherlands.
Joleon Lescott (b Birmingham c - Manchester City) & Daniel Sturridge (b - Birmingham c - Chelsea) 2012 vs Ukraine.

On the England job, I think it is a very big ask to expect Lee Carsley to do something that has proved beyond managers like Terry Venables, Bobby Robson and Graham Taylor, in the past. Appointing from within, may work for the FA, but it hasn't won us anything. I would have left him doing the job he has been doing rather well up to now, myself.

Back