• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brookvale Road

viv that was the flooding in 1930 so not so sure many will remember it..however i think there was another flooding on a similar scale but many years later..think i posted a photo of it some years ago...will try and find it

lyn

Sorry to confuse should have made it clear. Obviously I realise that few will remember the 1930 incident, I was referring to the Tame flooding in general. It happened often (after the date of the newspaper cutting) until I believe the banks were reinforced to prevent this happening.

Viv

Last edited:
The water level in post #1 was apparently at 18 inches. Even up to the the 1990s the Tame was a problem when it reached road level (14/8/1997).

In 1947 ladies were donnng gumboots to go shopping at the corner of Brookvale Road and Deykin Avenue.

Viv

Screenshot_20230807_122459_Chrome.jpgSource: British Newspaper Archive

Never know who you might spot on Brookvale Road. Viv.
Screenshot_20230807_131009_Chrome.jpgSource: British Newspaper Archive

Brookvale Road in the 1960s taken from near the canal bridge. The large building is Roddis and Norse Stone Mason, which would disappear with the construction of the M6. It was at that point that the post code changed from Birmingham 6 to Birmingham 23. Later the Post Office would change the section from the stone mason to the Ridgeway into Birmingham B6, and after a long fight it was restored to B23.

version=1&uuid=05C3A8FB-0E81-4650-B051-8B541D227916&mode=compatible&noloc=1.jpeg

Brookvale Road in the 1960s taken from near the canal bridge. The large building is Roddis and Norse Stone Mason, which would disappear with the construction of the M6. It was at that point that the post code changed from Birmingham 6 to Birmingham 23. Later the Post Office would change the section from the stone mason to the Ridgeway into Birmingham B6, and after a long fight it was restored to B23.

View attachment 182949

image_picker_1EB0C11B-A47F-4762-BB75-2BC0D09BD6CD-1054-000005E652A2923B-photo-processed.jpeg

Moor Lane running under the M6 Motorway towards Brookvale Road.

The motorway dissected Brookvale Road removing the Stone Mason and others seen above.

Back